Folder focus lost after switching tabs back and forth

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
surrender

Folder focus lost after switching tabs back and forth

Post by surrender »

Hi all,

I love this program so far. But one thing which i dont know has been mentioned before is:

when i have for example 2 tabs open. i want to copy contents from one folder to another and so i highlight a set of file or folder in one tab and then drag it to the other tab and the folders or files get copied. so far so good, now, imagine if i have to do this same procedure, but want to change the destination of the other tab before i want to drag on it. when i go to the other tab and change to another folder and come back to the tab where i highlighted a lot of things, i lose the highlighted folders and files. i have to redo the highlighting part again. Sorry for the most complicated description for a simple problem. but can anyone help me keep focus of the selected folders or file on a given tab?? i do this quite often and it would be helpful if focus is not lost.

thanks in advance.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Folder focus lost after switching tabs back and forth

Post by admin »

What you describe is part of the tab-"deal". :wink: When I introduced tabs some months ago I told you (not you personally): ok, you get tabs but don't scream for multi-selections to be remembered! The point is: TV3's tabs are lite tabs. Whenever you select a tab, you don't get some cached data but fresh live information; so it's kind of logical that the selections are lost. On the other hand I keep some additional per-tab information like scroll position and focused file and whether the focused file is selected. Keeping multi-selections, however, is more difficult...

The problem here is the theoretical amount of data (to be kept in memory or on disk) necessary to achieve this. 10, 20, 100 selections would not be a problem, but if you have 20 tabs of 70,000 files each and all are selected, it will get real heavy...

One solution would be an arbitrary limit: up to, say, 100 selections per tab are remembered -- but this approach is never a good idea in the long run.

So: I currently don't have any plans to implement this.

surrender

Post by surrender »

sorry i forgot to read this post. you are right it would make it really heavy then. well you are the programmer, you know better. but i found another way out. i just open two instances of xyplorer, tile them vertically and switching back and forth from one instance of xy to another does not lose focus. but ofcourse you have two times memory usage dispayed in task manager. but works fine. but to be frank people would want such a "dont lose focus" feature at some part of time.
merry christmas.