Dual Pane Development Period

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Dual Pane Development Period

Post by admin »

While designing Virtual Folders I found that the necessary changes have to go somewhat deeper into the app's architecture -- and hence will take longer -- than I had first thought. However, the Dual Pane edition, XY 8.00, has to come out as soon as possible! So I changed plans and will jump into the Dual Pane Development Period (DPDP) now.

This means that all heavily addicted forum members will face a time of severe withdrawal symptoms: For the next weeks I won't be able to keep the usual pace of spilling out new BETA versions every one or two days. Simply because I will have to take the app pretty much apart and will sit in front of a large heap of code lines. When I succeed in putting it all together again, hehe, then you'll have Dual Pane, and Virtual Folders will be there as well, and one or two other mind-blowing enhancements...

So, enjoy the incredible XY 7.90, and I'll be back with XY 8.00. :D

kiku

Re: Dual Pane Development Period

Post by kiku »

What I am really looking forward to get is the Windows Vista SP1 copy fix, so take your time and surprise us with a new version and a very good job - as usual :D

Pagat

Post by Pagat »

sounds good. but before you dive into the code: Happy carnevale in cologne!

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

All forum members waiting for DP will happily go to sleep mode themselves to give you the time to dig into it, and all the others might just have to be patient as well.

Was that decision made because of the carnival? Did you wake up one morning with a throbbing headache and the only thing that came to your mind was DP?
Just kidding...

Wishing you a successful time puzzling together the code and DP.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

admin wrote:So, enjoy the incredible XY 7.90, and I'll be back with XY 8.00. :D
Good luck Don.

mikes16

Post by mikes16 »

This excellent file manager is just getting better and better. I cautiously ask what made you change your mind on Dual Pane? I say cautiously because I love the decision and don't want to "jinx" it - but after viewing a few of the threads it does leave me wondering.

Thanks for a great product that enhances my workday - I cannot live without it.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

mikes16 wrote:I cautiously ask what made you change your mind on Dual Pane?
IMHO, I believe what was part of it was this opens up a whole new group of potential users/sales, who have been avoiding XY before, and thus similar to what Apple did with Mac's being now able to run Windows...also, I think some users here (especially Mesh) helped by presenting a logical and organized discussion of the issue instead of the more typical rant that we'd seen before.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

Lare2

Post by Lare2 »

mikes16 wrote:.... I cautiously ask what made you change your mind on Dual Pane? I say cautiously because I love the decision and don't want to "jinx" it - but after viewing a few of the threads it does leave me wondering.....
Who cares.... :D DP is coming ..... :shock: ... Seeing this post made me forget why I came to the forums today :?: ... I bet I was about to post a question and totally forgot it after seeing this :shock:

/me slowly leaving the forums to let Don work on this without interruptions

petersboulton

Post by petersboulton »

I'm all for dual pane too. If only minor enhancements then monthly updates are great. A major enhancement like dual pane I'm more than happy to wait several months or longer for - after all, it's not like XY is lacking in functionality in the meantime!

If there is one feature that is going to boost sales of the product its dual pane.

Also, if the same imaginative creativity can be applied to XY-dual pane as what's currently in the single pane product I'm sure the skeptics will change their minds.

That's my vote, anyway. Very happy to wait for 8.0 as next release, as long as it takes (er...within reason), with 100% development focus on that!

Pete

J-Mac

Post by J-Mac »

This is really good to hear. A progressive and positive move IMO.

Thanks!

Jim
J-Mac

solidus

Post by solidus »

Happy coding! :)

graham

Post by graham »

what a pane (duality no doubt!)

kartal

Post by kartal »

I hope that modularity is also considered for the next version. For example I would personally benefit alot if I can change the placement of the tree, the properties panel etc.
Last edited by kartal on 09 Mar 2009 23:14, edited 1 time in total.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

kartal wrote:I hope that modularit is also considered for the next version. For example I would personally benefit alot if I can change the placement of the tree, the properties panel etc.
I havent checked your previous posts, where would you want the tree and info panel to be?

kartal

Post by kartal »

Well for example I really hate where the preview panel is. I prefer it to be on the side(probably right side). It might be ok for text files but it is not very good for images, videos, pdfs etc.