Create Multiple Shortcuts From TV3 Search Results?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

frew wrote:I sent you some images and HTML report of ShellExView to the email address on TV3 support page.
Ok, this is really the longest context menu I've ever seen. Sorry, but I will not install all those context menu extending apps to find out which one is causing TV3 to crash and why. So you are on your own here: by trial and error (trial and crash :wink: ) you can isolate the culprit and then decide whether you need it more than TV3.

frew

Post by frew »

Okay, thank you for taking a look at the images I sent.

I'll open some of the apps and see if I can select to have them not show up in context menu.

I'll let you know if I have any luck with it.

Also, as a temporary workaround, here's a solution for me using TV3:

I'll select wav files one at a time in TV3 search results, then do a quick right click and select "create shortcut" for each individual wav for which I want a shortcut...then after a little less than 15 minutes or so of doing this I can use TV3 to search my whole hard drive for all files created in the last 15 minutes....then sort by type, select all the newly created shortcuts, and move them to a new folder of my choice.

By chosing "create shortcut" for each wav one at a time, the targets for the shortcuts are correct...but the shortcut files end up being placed all over my hard drive since my wav files are all over my hard drive...but this little workaround above, using TV3, is actually quite quick and easy to get the shortcuts all back into one folder.

Thank you very much for your help and ideas,

Frew

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

frew wrote:... then after a little less than 15 minutes or so of doing this ...
15 minutes!! Oh dear, that dreadful story finally softened my heart. See latest BETA where I built in a new command that should do this job in about 1 second. I hope you have good use for the 15 minutes you'll save :wink:

frew

Post by frew »

See latest BETA where I built in a new command that should do this job in about 1 second

Sorry, I don't understand exactly.

What new command?

What job do you refer to?

The 15 minutes I refer to are the 15 minutes (of the many more minutes than that) that it will take me to look through only some of the 900 or so wav files that TV3 shows after I search my hard drive for these certain types of wav files that have certain characteristics and that are found in certain folders on my hard drive. I use a find template I constructed to narrow things down a bit, but still I have to browse thrrough TV3 search results to get to my favorite wavs...and when I find them now I select them one at a time, right click, select "create shortcut", then after about 15 minutes of browsing the wavs in TV3 search results and creating shortcuts, I then use TV3 to search my hard drive for all the files created in the last 15 minutes (which TV3 does very quickly, thank you for this great tool)...then I move all these shortcuts to a separate folder...and there I have the results I want....shortcuts to my favorite wavs on my hard drive.

Thank you very much for any other ideas about this.

Frew

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

frew wrote:Sorry, I don't understand exactly.

What new command?
The new command "Create Shortcut(s) Here", see
admin wrote:Code:

v4.00.0150 - 25.08.05 20:50
+ New command in the custom drag-drop context menu: "Create
Shortcut(s) Here". Reason: Windows's own "Create Shortcut(s) Here"
does not work correctly with TrackerV3's find result lists because
it cannot handle files with different paths in one go. The new
command can do this very well. So now you can easily drag-drop-
create shortcuts of your deeply nested find results by right-
dragging the selected files onto any tree folder.

It works a treat. Now even better would be a way of creating different shortcuts for files of the same name in different folders? A situation like:

Folder01/File01.jpg
Folder02/File01.jpg
Folder03/File01.jpg

only creates one link to the file in Folder03. Would it be possible to automatically create links with sequential numbers like:

File01.lnk
File01[01].lnk
File01[02].lnk

for files of the same name in the different folders?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

frew wrote:What job do you refer to?
The 15 minutes I refer to are the 15 minutes...
Ah yes, ok. I was so alarmed to see "15 minutes" and "TrackerV3" combined in one thought that I just had to act immediately.

I hope you have found the command.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:Now even better would be a way of creating different shortcuts for files of the same name in different folders?
Hey, I woke up with this thought on my mind! :) On my way... EDIT: ... and arrived. :)

frew

Post by frew »

What can I say?

Once again you completely astonish me with your ability to craft a fantastic program to make it even more useful and amazing for us!

I want to thank you very much for bringing this very helpful shortcuts feature into the menu as you have done.

I works execellently. Just what I need. Perfect. Thank you.

How do you bring such great features into you program so excellently and so quickly. I'm really impressed.

Once again, I thank you very much for taking the time to consider this problem I had, and for helping me with it, and for (in this new way) adding this wonderful and easy to use shortcuts capability into your great software.

Frew

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You're welcome, frew. This new command is an improvement for many users including myself. We are all happy now. :D

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote:Hey, I woke up with this thought on my mind!...
Does that mean you can read my thoughts about TrackerV3??? I'd better be careful what I think in that case!

It works a treat, fantastic for selecting groups of images for sorting.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:
admin wrote:Hey, I woke up with this thought on my mind!...
Does that mean you can read my thoughts about TrackerV3??? I'd better be careful what I think in that case!
Or maybe it means that you can foresee and read my thoughts! So I better take care what I'll think tomorrow.
Gandolf wrote:It works a treat, fantastic for selecting groups of images for sorting.
sorting? using shortcuts??

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

admin wrote:
Gandolf wrote:It works a treat, fantastic for selecting groups of images for sorting.
sorting? using shortcuts??
Perhaps collating would be a better word than sorting. I make links from several different folders in one folder and then view the images as thumbnails in a graphics viewer. That enables me to see images from different folders that I want to group together. I then go back to the originals and move them. It saves having to keep switching between a number of folders and trying to remember what images were where.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:I make links from several different folders in one folder and then view the images as thumbnails in a graphics viewer.
Wouldn't it be nice, if TV3 could preview the shortcut targets directly when selecting the shortcuts? (as it already does with *.url files)

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

Previewing the links is good but I need to use a graphics program to see the links as thumbnails, a full screen of them with only filenames. Even if the links in TrackerV3 were displayed as thumbnails, the disadvantage of TrackerV3's thumbnails for looking at large numbers of graphics files is that only a few are visible on the screen. If a thumbnails only (plus filename) mode was available that would be fantastic.

I would also have expected that double-clicking (or Enter) on the link would have displayed the image in my default graphics viewer, as it does with other file managers. Right-click and open does open the image in the graphics viewer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Gandolf wrote:If a thumbnails only (plus filename) mode was available that would be fantastic.
Yes, many users are asking for this. I might do it one day...
Gandolf wrote:I would also have expected that double-clicking (or Enter) on the link would have displayed the image in my default graphics viewer, as it does with other file managers. Right-click and open does open the image in the graphics viewer.
That's standard behavior: Double-clicking (or Enter) triggers the default command (the one that's bold in the context menu).