When too many tabs are opened...

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Oswald

When too many tabs are opened...

Post by Oswald »

Is it possible to add lines to the browsing tabs when a line is "full"?

admin
Site Admin

Re: When too many tabs are opened...

Post by admin »

No. (I hear TsunamiZ's diabolical laughing in the back :wink: )

sklain

Post by sklain »

So the only way to get to additional tabs now is to save an alternate set of tabs as a unique configuration, right?

What about the following alternative: Have a kind of "Toggle Tab", perhaps in a different color, that calls up an alternative configuration. This would make it possible not only to quickly view a list of alternative tabs, but to easily toggle back and forth between two (or more?) sets of tabs as well. Possible?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

sklain wrote:Have a kind of "Toggle Tab", perhaps in a different color, that calls up an alternative configuration. This would make it possible not only to quickly view a list of alternative tabs, but to easily toggle back and forth between two (or more?) sets of tabs as well. Possible?
Possible yes, but looks like an overkill to me. We have favorites, we have tabs, we have unlimited loadable configurations, we have unlimited parallel installations, and now you want sets of tabs... will it really improve your workflow? I'll put it on the to-meditate-about-list :wink:

sklain

Post by sklain »

I admit that the ability to toggle among sets of tabs isn't true new functionality. However, it would definitely add speed and enhance ease of use for those of us who use computers extensively for a multiplicity of tasks.

To take me as an example, my hard disk is full of folders and files, mostly related to (1) my work (freelance translator), (2) to digital photography, and to (3) MP3s (mainly downloaded NPR podcasts and recorded talk shows). With a Toggle Icon (which I now think would be preferable to a Toggle Tab -- see next paragraph), one click would quickly take me to my MP3 collection if I want to select and listen to a particular talk show or to my digital photo collection if I want to select a picture for e-mailing. So in my case, I would set up 3 sets of tabs: Work, MP3s, Photos. TrackerV3's Favorites aren't a help because that would involve one huge, unorganized list. Alternative loadable configurations and parallel installations would certainly help, but these functions are slower and more clumsy than a toggle icon would be.

If, after meditating on the issue, you decide in its favor, I believe a toggle icon would be more logical than a special toggle tab because (1) it wouldn't hog a potential "real" tab slot (of course, it would hog some space because you currently put the icons and tabs on the same line; couldn't you avoid this by making the icons movable to the Menu line or to a new line?), (2) the tabs would remain "clean" and uniformally true tabs; and (3) toggling among tab sets is a function and as such it belongs among the icons.

To make a toggle icon backwards compatible for those folks who have already set up alternative loadable configurations, you'd probably want to define a tab set as a loadable configuration. This would have the additional advantage of avoiding the need for users to learn a special procedure for creating tab sets.

A toggle icon might function as follows: if 2 Toggle Sets (loadable configurations) have been set up, left-clicking on the icon would toggle back and forth among the 2 sets. If 3 or more sets have been set up, left-clicking would cycle among the sets and right-clicking would bring up a list of sets for individual selection.

You might want to move or copy my above suggestion to the Wishes Section to see if there are others out there who would also like this function.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

sklain wrote:You might want to move or copy my above suggestion to the Wishes Section to see if there are others out there who would also like this function.
Help yourself. And let's see what the united usership cooks up...