Where is the recycle bin?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
iycgtptyarvg

Where is the recycle bin?

Post by iycgtptyarvg »

I must seem like a total idiot, but I don't see the recycle bin. I do see the "RECYCLER" folders, but not a link to the recycle bin. Is it an option I forgot to turn on?

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

menu "Tools> Open recycle bin".

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Where is the recycle bin?

Post by j_c_hallgren »

iycgtptyarvg wrote:I must seem like a total idiot, but I don't see the recycle bin. I do see the "RECYCLER" folders, but not a link to the recycle bin. Is it an option I forgot to turn on?
Please NEVER feel like an idiot here! :wink: We all have times when we miss the obvious...

Anyway, depending on OS, the Recycle Bin may show as Recycler...and an important FYI: XY show it as a standard file/folder so what you see won't look like the "normal" view! This can be both an advantage or not, but it's something to be aware of.
See http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?t=1021
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

iycgtptyarvg

Post by iycgtptyarvg »

Ok, I checked the Recycler folder(s) more carefully.
I noticed a couple of things:

You have to go to the recycler folder of the specific partition to see what you deleted (for that partition only). As far as I could see there was no easy 'Recycle bin' folder in the tree, and no option to see all the deleted files.

The names are all changed... this is very confusing.

The 'Date deleted' is not show, so it's difficult to determine what you deleted last.

The above points combined with the lack of an undo function makes working with XYplorer very dangerous. I'm currently using an old(er) version of Directory Opus, but am looking for a more 'wallet friendly' product :oops:
So, I hope there will be some improvements in a couple of areas (only have 8 days left for my trial, but have a good idea of the current state of XYplorer).

Thanks.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

iycgtptyarvg wrote:Ok, I checked the Recycler folder(s) more carefully.
I noticed a couple of things:

You have to go to the recycler folder of the specific partition to see what you deleted (for that partition only). As far as I could see there was no easy 'Recycle bin' folder in the tree, and no option to see all the deleted files.

The 'Date deleted' is not show, so it's difficult to determine what you deleted last.

The above points combined with the lack of an undo function makes working with XYplorer very dangerous. I'm currently using an old(er) version of Directory Opus, but am looking for a more 'wallet friendly' product :oops:
So, I hope there will be some improvements in a couple of areas (only have 8 days left for my trial, but have a good idea of the current state of XYplorer).

Thanks.
I am with you on the "undo" feature and this is most important feature for me and is 3rd in XY's roadmap:
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?t=830

Apart from that, accessing recycle bin is easier with Tools> Open recycle bin. There is also a toolbar button for this.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

iycgtptyarvg wrote:1.
You have to go to the recycler folder of the specific partition to see what you deleted (for that partition only).

The above points combined with the lack of an undo function makes working with XYplorer very dangerous.
But all your 3 "RB" points are because in that view, XY shows it as a 'normal' folder, which is why I pointed you to my other thread, as I've found some of those features/abilities quite useful! And something that I just cannot do via the standard RB view!

It was because of the unique partition view that I was able to determine why I was "missing" some space, and was able to use that view combined with normal Win Expl view to resolve it.
And yes, the lack of undo can be a bit dangerous, but I'd not say that it makes it "very" dangerous, though that may be because of how/what I do.
iycgtptyarvg wrote:So, I hope there will be some improvements in a couple of areas (only have 8 days left for my trial, but have a good idea of the current state of XYplorer).
Well, I don't think you'll find another product that has as much user/developer interaction and which has new features (ok, sometimes little minor tweaks) added almost daily!
So I'd suggest you jump on the bandwagon and help XY develop in a way that would benefit other similar users...but realize that XY will never be DO!
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

iycgtptyarvg

Post by iycgtptyarvg »

Thanks for the tips guys. After my trial ends I'm going to try out 2 other applications (first up is TotalCommander). After I've used 3 alternatives for about a month each (to give them a fair chance), I'll decide which to go for for the coming years.

XYplorer is a very good candidate, with Dual Pane and Undo on its way (for v8?)