Need Help - How to Copy Customized File & Folder Icons from Old to New Profile? ...

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
cfguy101

Need Help - How to Copy Customized File & Folder Icons from Old to New Profile? ...

Post by cfguy101 »

Hi All - I recently had a corrupted xyplorer.ini in my XY installation folder (for the second time, the first time was back in 2013 - here is a link to my original post back then: (TinyURL: https://tinyl.io/75Jj, for reference).

Since this firs incident, I have been meticulous in creating xyplorer.ini backups after every time I make a user customization of any type by afterwards going into "File/Settings Special/Save Copy of Configuration As/", then prefixing my filename with the current date and saving to a custom folder of xyplorer.ini backups.

This time when the xyplorer.ini file corruption occurred, XYplorer was refusing to open, and I typed into Google the XYplorer error message (sorry, I do not remember exactly what it was) and at the top of the solutions was my post from user forum post from 2013, at which point I knew the xyplorer.ini had become corrupted again, and this time I just went into an older xyplorer.ini backup in my xyplorer.ini changes/backups folder and restored it from an older backup (unfortunately, I choose a backup at a prior date that was too old, but more about that later).

Unfortunately, when I posted about my initial .ini file corruption issue back in 2013, the first responder told me what had happened, and then I followed his directions and XYplorer was functional again. I didn't think to check back at the post, because if I had I would have seen additional helpful suggestions to the problem that might have served me better with this most recent xyplorer.ini file corruption.

Specifically, after this second corruption, where I then restored an older xyplorer.ini file from backup, since I chose to go back farther in time, I lost many of my user customizations. And unlink when the corruption occurred in 2013, this time I had a lot of user customizations, not only in the tools/configuration settings, but also many user customized file and folder icons (which I'm not sure was even an option back in 2013).

For the tools/configuration settings, I was able to change most of them from memory (but probably forgot a few); however my current problem is all of the many user customized file and folder icons, which I would never be able to "reprogram" from memory, as there were so many, and I am really missing them.

Where are the customized file and folder icons settings stored? If it is in an xyplorer.ini file, then at least I have a whole folder full of backups after every program customization, and could hopefully find the last backup where a customized file and folder icon was saved (but the xyplorer.ini in file didn't wasn't "corrupted" and causing XYplorer not to function). Could I then copy code from the previous xyplorer.ini file and folder user customizations into the current, functioning xyplorer.ini file and then have my user customized file and folder icons back again? Or is there perhaps another way to get them back that I am not aware of that would be a better option?

Please help, as I am in "unchartered territory" here, and do not know the best (or even possible) way to fix this situation.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, and this time I promise not to just check back once and use the first solution offered, without waiting to see if there are more solutions posted and weighing my options.

Thanks so much,
-Cfguy

Horst

Re: Need Help - How to Copy Customized File & Folder Icons from Old to New Profile? ...

Post by Horst »

I use the portable XY version and have 2 sorts of backups which allows me to recover from any problem.
This backups run once a day and manualy after importand changes.

The first backup stores the content of the Data\AutoBackup folder which contains all actual settings
and the version from 24h bevor. This includes folder view settings and all other stuff of config info.
This backup is made with the tool DSynchronize, configured to hold 10 versions of this tree.

The 2nd backup is made with the ZPAQ tool and saves the whole XYplorer tree excluding the Thumbnails dir.
This is a full backup and therefore contains all scripts and other often changed files.
ZPAQ is a deduplicating backup and compressing tool which allows to store hundrets of versions of the whole tree
which only a small amount of space.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

XY fan

Re: Need Help - How to Copy Customized File & Folder Icons from Old to New Profile? ...

Post by XY fan »

So saving a copy of XYplorer.INI is not enough to save all customizations of Toolbar etc?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

XY fan wrote: 02 Oct 2022 09:24 So saving a copy of XYplorer.INI is not enough to save all customizations of Toolbar etc?
It is enough.

XY fan

Post by XY fan »

admin wrote: 02 Oct 2022 09:26
XY fan wrote: 02 Oct 2022 09:24 So saving a copy of XYplorer.INI is not enough to save all customizations of Toolbar etc?
It is enough.
Thanks Don