New Logo/Icon

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Re: New Logo/Icon

Post by admin »

That's a halo I added on purpose to make it stand out better. But I'm not sure I like it.

PS: I removed it. Better. :tup:

MBaas

Post by MBaas »

Sorry to say - but I join the group of those that don't like the new look. I really wanted to give it a chance, but no, I just don't like that :(

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Well, updated to the latest beta and was greeted with this hideous (sorry) logo on restart.

On the plus side, I did find and use Configuration | General | Startup & Exit | [ ] Show splash screen while loading.

Please, if you do decide to keep this thing, please allow us to change easily switch between them. I for one do not want that icon pinned to my taskbar and to see XYCopy popup using it every time.

Please.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

What font is it?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Redig

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

admin wrote: 19 Sep 2022 17:18Redig
Thanks.

Would you mind to share the svg file?

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Good afternoon,
In the event we don't get options to display the old icon on the splash screen, application, task bar, other EXEs, etc., I have locked my systems down to 23.60.0010 and plan on staying on that version. I have also removed my update icon so I don't accidentally update.

Why ? Simple. I am in XY all day, every day. Icons are pinned on my desktop, taskbar, XYCopy copies are going on and I simply don't like the look of the new icon. I'd prefer not to look at it. There was always something about the old icon that I liked, to me, it's just perfect.

Maybe I'm getting too old for changes that I deem unnecessary. XY is super flexible and customizable enough to allow for a tweak or multiple options.

It's okay. Ever since XY started with the Dark Mode work (been a while), there hasn't been any particular benefit or feature that I recall that has changed or improved my daily workflow. Bug fixes, yes, but features for me, not really. Most of the changes don't apply to me as I don't use them nor do I get heavily involved in scripting any more.

Don't get me wrong. It is still amazing what XY continues to add and can do and there is no other comparable file manager for Windows - period. For me, XY is feature rich already and fully packed and because of that, I feel comfortable enough to lock in this version and call it a day.

I wish the best for Don and the XY community and do plan to check in between official releases and see what's new.

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

@VeeGee:

I think the new icon isn't that bad. It may not match our preferred taste, but in the end it's just an icon.

The (Windows governed) icons will be updated after a restart, and the rest will be after the icon resources are fully updated (https://www.xyplorer.com still isn't, explorer.exe yet has two refs to the old icon left, and the rest of exes are yet to be migrated).

In the grand view (e. g. task bar) it is ok for me. At least after all that 'flat' years it offers a different view (though I still find the flat approach to be more Zen-like).

The only thing I'm really struggling with is the smaller/smallest icon size(s) which to me matter the most in editors like VSCode. The basic color contrast works, but I'm still undecided on the 2D/3D look and their specific space requirements (hence I've asked for the svg file to check against my spontaneous color-correct 'flat' version).*
new_icon.png
new_icon.png (121.87 KiB) Viewed 951 times
*: you'll find the previous icon style down below.

autocart

Post by autocart »

I am also considering to revert to v23.60.0100 - 2022-09-16 12:00 and freeze the XY version there.

I cannot even find the XY app in the task bar because I am so used to the old icon.

Even though this is an icon change and not a name change, it still reminds me of the time when "webattack.com" had the "clever" idea to rename itself to "snapfiles.com". This was about 20 years ago, as far as I remember. To this day, the webattack.com domain is still existing and redirecting to snapfiles.com because everyone wanted to keep using the old name.

Sorry, Don, but this is - hands down - the worst design decision you have made since I know XY. I hope you will reconsider for the good of XY.
If the icon did at least look better ... But on the other hand, XY is becoming less and less important to me, so at least I will be able to live with it ... but I just felt I have to give this feedback, because this is sooo ugly ... sorry, don't know how to say it any other way.

Regards, a.

EDIT:
On the other hand - even though I disgust myself with that - but to stay fair and complete with my feedback, I notice that I get used to the new icon way too quickly. I am shocked about it. And I still think that it looks old, like from the 80's, and not pretty at all. But yes, I do already get used to it as it seems.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

If anyone needs/wants them, attached are both the old icon and new icon files, extracted as .ico files and uploaded here as zip (the forum allows image files as attachments but not icons)
xy_blue.zip
(17.35 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
xy.zip
(31.34 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
You can also change the default icon properties to use the old image, still contained within the .exe. As much as I dislike (ok HATE) the new icon, I will reluctantly leave it, since this is Don's wish.

I have a CTB that uses the old xy.ico which I now (again reluctantly) updated to the new one, simply to avoid confusing myself (easily done these days).

XY fan

Post by XY fan »

Just to reiterate, I don't like the old icon and like the new one even less.

Wherever I can (eg Desktop), I use the icon from the old PowerDesk for XY which is a sextant with a folder and +/- superimposed on it.

How about a sextant with XY superimposed on it for XYplorer?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I didn't find the all-blue design prominent enough among my other icons (which often tend to be bluish). So I made an even better design, that I love even more. :P
Attachments
BlueRedBox.png
BlueRedBox.png (7.45 KiB) Viewed 893 times

lian00

Post by lian00 »

Well, I know this kind of thing is something very important for a developer - or anyone giving a lot of times into a project - and I tend to support this but… it’s true the icon is very small in taskbar and hard to notice with only one dark color.

Speaking of design strictly, it’s quite cool :P
Windows 10 64 bits

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

lian00 wrote: 20 Sep 2022 10:53 Speaking of design strictly, it’s quite cool :P
My late 80s CAD class called and want their tutorial back.

lian00

Post by lian00 »

VeeGee wrote: 20 Sep 2022 11:45
lian00 wrote: 20 Sep 2022 10:53 Speaking of design strictly, it’s quite cool :P
My late 80s CAD class called and want their tutorial back.
Well, why 80’s design should be worst than actual desgin ?
Windows 10 64 bits