New Logo/Icon

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
phred

Re: New Logo/Icon

Post by phred »

While I understand that nobody likes changes, I do think the first version of the new logo is pretty awful. The second is somewhat better. But not as much as the original/current logo.

My question to Don is what's the reason behind the change?

And for those who simply refuse to update XY due to the logo change, isn't that a little extreme? You're willing to give up improvements/fixes in the application for the sake of how a logo appears??

lian00

Post by lian00 »

phred wrote: 20 Sep 2022 14:33 And for those who simply refuse to update XY due to the logo change, isn't that a little extreme? You're willing to give up improvements/fixes in the application for the sake of how a logo appears??
And they must exist some solution to change all icons from an application ?
Windows 10 64 bits

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

phred wrote: 20 Sep 2022 14:33 And for those who simply refuse to update XY due to the logo change, isn't that a little extreme?
For me, not really. Like I mentioned above, starting with Dark Mode (which I hate in all applications) until now, there have been very little new features added that affect my workflow. There have been great changes; however, they just don't apply to me or the things I use in XY. I have my setup the way I like it with a 100% mirrored configuration in another product (in the event of a something tragic happening).

For these reasons, I version locked my XY to 23.60.0100, disabled updates, removed my beta update CTB, blocked on the firewall and have no plans to update. At this point, there would have to be something extremely useful to me for me to update and I just don't see that happening. I don't expect my XY Wishes to be granted (although some have been and I am grateful for that). For my open Wishes, I do have workarounds using other tools that I have integrated into my XY workflow and will plan on continuing to use them as-is.

phred

Post by phred »

VeeGee wrote: 20 Sep 2022 17:59 For me, not really. Like I mentioned above, starting with Dark Mode (which I hate in all applications) until now, there have been very little new features added that affect my workflow. There have been great changes; however, they just don't apply to me or the things I use in XY. I have my setup the way I like it with a 100% mirrored configuration in another product (in the event of a something tragic happening).
Thanks for your thoughts, VeeGee. I certainly can't argue with that as it makes perfect sense. Which sort of leads me back to the original thought of Don replacing the logo: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Here's xy_red.ico (as zip) for anyone who may want it
xy_red.zip
(19.96 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
I have to say, the red is definitely better than the blue (agree with Don, too much blue already in icons I typically have in the taskbar), but I still prefer the old one. Nevertheless, I'm updating my CTB icon to the red one, absolutely easier to distinguish than the blue.

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

autocart wrote: 20 Sep 2022 00:48 I am also considering to revert to v23.60.0100 - 2022-09-16 12:00 and freeze the XY version there.

I cannot even find the XY app in the task bar because I am so used to the old icon.
There's already a tweak for it since many years

Code: Select all

; Tweak: custom app icon
IconFile=<xyicons>\xy.ico
Though this won't change the app icon in reality, but it will change the icon visible in taskbar and windows title bar.

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

New icon is hideous. How about multi-threading? XYplorer (Not Responding) is getting OLD. Seems like every new feature is like lipstick on a pig.
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.

Display

Post by Display »

I think the original XY branding is cool and very easy to recognise. Is there really a need to change it?
The new branding is void of character, very corporate and generic. Its not as iconic as the original.

Here's some quick random thoughts:
XY-logos.png
XY-logos.png (70.32 KiB) Viewed 866 times
-
Perhaps others could keep posting ideas until Don is inspired to create a different design (or keep the original!) :3

autocart

Post by autocart »

or like that
xy-logo-suggestion.png
xy-logo-suggestion.png (1.95 KiB) Viewed 859 times

autocart

Post by autocart »

oder auch so
xy-logo-suggestion2.png
xy-logo-suggestion2.png (2 KiB) Viewed 834 times

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Display wrote: 20 Sep 2022 20:31 Here's some quick random thoughts:
These are very impressive. Nice work ! Thank you for sharing these with us.
So many good ones to choose from in this sampling.

These are the ones that I like the most :
Image-002.png
Image-002.png (2.62 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Image-003.png
Image-003.png (2.9 KiB) Viewed 818 times

Display

Post by Display »

autocart wrote: 20 Sep 2022 22:10 oder auch so
the idea behind that one was "file operations" e.g. delete, cut, paste, goto etc.
so the Y's being clearly defined as an arrow was important:
cut-paste.png
cut-paste.png (41.96 KiB) Viewed 818 times
but your variation does read better!

@VeeGee Thank you!

autocart

Post by autocart »

Ah, ok, Display, did not get that at first.

Anyway, I ofc agree with VeeGee. Thank you for your design ideas. They are great!
I just felt that the y looking like a down arrow (at a -45° angle) looks so depressing...

kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

Only just updated to the latest version today and I have to say, sorry, I'm not a fan. I understand that wanting to change to something fresh and new but this icon doesn't seem very 'modern'. Personally, I love the old icon.
Windows 10 Pro 22H2

kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

VeeGee wrote: 19 Sep 2022 13:29 please allow us to change easily switch between them
I agree. I want the old one back :(
Windows 10 Pro 22H2