New Logo/Icon

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
klownboy

Re: New Logo/Icon

Post by klownboy »

paludis wrote: 27 Sep 2022 19:18 On a second machine I also spend almost a hour trying to make it work without any luck. I ended up adjusting the taskbar pin shortcut manually to change the icon there.

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar
Most of my attempts to change the icon have been from ...User Pinned\Taskbar, but it's not sticking even when deleting the cache mentioned in another post. Oh well.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

jupe

Post by jupe »

I like this version without the blue, and it is now much easier to instantly recognize at these smaller sizes again.

2022-09-28_151321.png
2022-09-28_151321.png (1.52 KiB) Viewed 1948 times

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

I got the old icon back on my taskbar. I'm quite sure what finally did it was resetting the taskbar icon cache using WinAeroTweaker. I really don't have an issue with the new ones, but since I'm testing XY scripts with another copy of XY with a totally different configuration, I have another XY taskbar icon using one of the new ones.

I wonder if I could use the orange version as shown in jupe's last post on web browser tabs (over the current blue)? It would be much more distinctive.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just received this ugly 3D-SPAM. LOL, too late.
Attachments
IMG_0942_999.jpg
IMG_0942_999.jpg (165.89 KiB) Viewed 1909 times

NS-Zero

Post by NS-Zero »

Thank for the option to use old Logo.

GreetingsFromPoland

Post by GreetingsFromPoland »

hi!
7 year daily (lifetime license) user, first time needing to register to post something. here's my take on this after reading through these pages and experiencing the new icon and brand for myself.

do i like it ? no.
has it upset my software daily experience ? yes.
why ? because i like to look at nice things and this isn't nice to me. it's harsh and hard to see and differentiate between other icons.
thank you developer has given options to continue to use the previous icon. do i use those options ? no, haha. i found instructions on reddit that work (https://old.reddit.com/r/software/).

will i continue to use software daily ? probably. why not yes ? not sure why exactly, maybe i sense a tone about all this, tough to say. developer has always been extremely open to suggestions and comments about pretty much everything, except for this new branding, it came out of nowhere. no poll, no preview, nothing really. does developer have to do this ? not at all. would it have been received better, ABSOLUTELY.

this would have allowed all the long time, paid, loyal customers to voice constructive criticism instead of the lashing i feel was given out on both sides. there is no winner when that happens. i think everyone would have
been happier, heard and felt listened too if the beta round would have included everyone. who knows ? even an icon or design contest would have been fun, i see some contenders here !

the old icon is nice to look at. i understand the need and desire for update. a ::fresh; look haha, see what i did there ! i have always felt connected to developer using this software and reading the messages here.

i don't think the software following is small. maybe developer is changing to get more customers, that would be good but not at the expense of upsetting long time users. we can be very helpful in influence and word of mouth advertising. good experience for us is good experience for developer. bad just isn't good in these times.

through reading all of this, it has made me think what to do if the software goes away for any reason. what if developer decided to just stop ? i better have a solution and i have found one and have started testing it out. this doesn't mean i will stop using the software. i have too much time in my custom setup that is not reproducible in other products. a backup just feels good to have in place. i don't experience any work stopping problems with the software, but exploring a backup plan is not a bad idea.

i read these forums and don't remember seeing anything in the past that has created a ruckus like this, maybe there was. everyone always is happy and friendly here. if i search i can find my answers and have not felt the need to make a post before now. what we need now is a new feature that will shine above everything and not a one will remember the icon.

edit : translation fixes

phred

Post by phred »

@GreetingsFromPoland-

Obviously you spent a lot of time thinking and writing about this. I too have a lifetime license. I too don't like the new logo. I too like to look at nice things. But even if I could not change back to the old logo, I would not abandon XY. We're talking about aesthetics here. We are -not- talking about the functionality of the program. And since the functionality isn't changed by the introduction of a new logo/icon, I see no reason to abandon ship.

Could Don have gone about it differently? Of course. And while I'm a relatively new user of XY, to spring the new logo on us with no prior discussion seems out of character, it's Don't program and he can do what he wishes. Again - I don't see that as a reason to abandon ship.

Good luck with your new application. I've tried most of them over the years and have keep being impressed with XY. Partly because it is extremely configurable and partly because of Don and this forum.

An icon change is not the end of the world.

GreetingsFromPoland

Post by GreetingsFromPoland »

@phred and all

hi friends! thank you for your response. the function of the software is hard to beat. nothing comes close to except one software. i only saw it as making sure i have a backup plan in case developer stops. it doesn't seem the normal character of developer which is why i wanted a backup plan.

you are correct, an icon change isn't the end of the world. i do have this software in multiple places that i look at. i use shortcuts, task bar and task manager. i just want the familiar and pleasing look that i had. i have it now by following other instructions.

powodzenia (good luck) to everyone here.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

I too have been a lifetime license user for many years. I too have tried other products, I came here from a very popular one which had many shortcomings at the time, and that particular developer (again, at the time) was not very responsive or personable.

I very much agree with both of the above posts - this was indeed sprung upon us, and as Phred said it's Don's program to do with what he wishes. I too very much dislike the new logos (orange or blue) and prefer the old one. It is because Don listens to our voices and is so responsive to our wishes that he provided the ability to switch back via ::appicon; ... for this I am very grateful.

Also as Phred said, this is purely cosmetic, and yes, even without ::appicon; there are several ways to change an application's icon (without resource hacking). It's this latest response from Don which attests to his care for the user community. Don listens to our voices. I've provided many suggestions and bug reports here over the years, and they're always responded to courteously and promptly.

The most poignant comment here yet is "since the functionality isn't changed by the introduction of a new logo/icon,". It is XYplorer's functionality and feature sets that continue to make me an "XY Evangelist".
I have customized and streamlined my workflows so significantly with XY, that I cannot imagine *ANY* program ever satisfactorily replacing it. Even if Don were to cease development today, XY as it is now provides for all of my file management needs, and does so thoroughly, elegantly, and quite cosmetically beautifully. I am a happy and loyal user for life. Thank you Don for all you have done and continue to do.

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

Congratulations, Don -

The new icon and logo style is excellent, a welcome refresh. It evokes a bold, modern approach to file management.

Any professional designer would recognize the aesthetic of excitement, energy and speed that the new style brings.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Is that irony? :biggrin: (after all the shit that's been thrown at me...)

xyplorerköln

Post by xyplorerköln »

admin wrote: 29 Sep 2022 22:49 Is that irony? :biggrin: (after all the shit that's been thrown at me...)
No irony whatsoever.

A multitude do seem to hold an opposing view, but the new icon is fresh and energetic.

Those new to XYplorer will likely enjoy the new design and perhaps even object to the preceding design.

Fernando1958

Post by Fernando1958 »

I read a negative comment about the new Logo. The person "might" stop using XYplorer? really?
I can't imagine my life without XYplorer. I love all the big and small updates.
The amount of improvements done to XYplorer at all levels is incredible.
I'm working with PCs for 35 years and XYplorer is an amazing tool.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

Fernando1958 wrote: 30 Sep 2022 10:08 I read a negative comment about the new Logo. The person "might" stop using XYplorer? really?
I couldn't agree more.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

LittleBiG wrote: 30 Sep 2022 10:38
Fernando1958 wrote: 30 Sep 2022 10:08 I read a negative comment about the new Logo. The person "might" stop using XYplorer? really?
I couldn't agree more.
Nicely put. :tup: