New Logo/Icon

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
jupe

Re: New Logo/Icon

Post by jupe »

Just saw the new, new orange blue icon downgrade, much harder to instantly recognize at 16x16 too.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

I have just reopened XY because I didn't recognized it in the taskbar :biggrin: I still have to get used to it.

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Sadly it appears that Don is sticking with this new icon/design as he has not replied or commented to any of the creative or negative comments. It's his choice, a terrible one at that, but his.

In recent years I have found myself less tolerable for things that I don't care for (apparently comes with older age). I'll use this as an opportunity to have one less thing I need to follow or manage, e.g. application updates and daily forum reads and visits. My list of daily "chores" grows smaller and smaller by the day. My custom homepage of "speed dials" also gets smaller, especially for sites that don't "just display" on uBlock Origin (UBO) medium-mode. Things that I currently have and use that work fine, I'm good with. The last piece of this puzzle for me was to add UBO filters to block the logos on the XY pages and the replace the favicon on my tab (yes, I think the design is that bad).

I doubt there will be anything useful for me being added to XY any time soon, so it is also a perfect time/version for me to lock into. I would also say that XY is the main reason that I have not fully moved to Ubuntu (my Linux build of choice). Everything I do minus XY-type things I can do over there. Even the XY competitor that I have as a backup isn't on Linux. Maybe that will be my next down-size type thing to work, time in File Managers.

Norn

Post by Norn »

After a few days of use, I accepted the new taskbar icon, because I like that blue. But I still can't accept the new icon of the titlebar, yes, I can't accept misshapen icons, :x symmetrical icons are best, I don't think 3D icons are visually intuitive.
How about a blue and orange rectangle icon? Modified with "Paint". . .
TitlebarIcon2.png
TitlebarIcon2.png (412 Bytes) Viewed 808 times
TitlebarIcon.png
TitlebarIcon.png (414 Bytes) Viewed 808 times
Attachments
Taskbar.png
Taskbar.png (14.72 KiB) Viewed 808 times
Win10, Win11 @100% 2560x1440 22H2

eil

Post by eil »

Display wrote: 20 Sep 2022 20:31 I think the original XY branding is cool and very easy to recognise. Is there really a need to change it?
The new branding is void of character, very corporate and generic. Its not as iconic as the original.

Here's some quick random thoughts:
XY-logos.png
-
Perhaps others could keep posting ideas until Don is inspired to create a different design (or keep the original!) :3
Really like several variants from here and agree with words said.!
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

elqasar2

Post by elqasar2 »

In my view, the new icons are a downgrade. The old one was more distinctive, especially at small size in the system tray, and there was no need to change it.

Norn

Post by Norn »

Well, I vote for any one here :) keep Color Elements: Black, White, Orange.
Attachments
XYicons.png
XYicons.png (16.29 KiB) Viewed 782 times
Win10, Win11 @100% 2560x1440 22H2

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

As an experiment today I used Resource Hacker to extract all the resources from the 23.60.0010 EXEs (saved as RES files). Next I downloaded the latest beta package in ZIP format, extracted the files to a folder and again, used Resource Hacker to replace/overwrite all the icon group resources within each EXE with the ones that I extracted from each individual EXE. Easy process and it worked, scriptable too.

Like I said, this was an experiment. I won't upload any instructions or screenshots, etc. and I hopefully am not breaking any type of licensing issue by doing so. After testing my experiment, the files were removed and I'm still on the last official build. I am also not trying to disrespect Don and his work. I was mainly curious as to whether it was possible or not.

adulttw

Post by adulttw »

I love old logo than new one...
The old's con is not obvious in windows dark mode.
If icon must been upgraded,maybe let it flat???

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

@Don
Would you provide a svg file for the new icons once you're comfortable with theri look?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Got none. It's all PSD.

XY fan

Post by XY fan »

Why not just give us a choice by embedding the old and new icons in the exe or similar - and see who chooses what?
admin wrote: 25 Sep 2022 11:25 Got none. It's all PSD.

Horst

Post by Horst »

Why not simply add the logic to use an icon named XYicon.jpg into the location of the xyplorer.exe
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

Even the xplorer2 folks didn't like an icon change (https://forum.zabkat.com/viewtopic.php?p=75944). The developer added the ability to drop an ICO in the installation folder and the program will use that.

For XY, including both in the latest beta package is nice, thank you for this. The groups are AAA and BBB and you can see those inside Resource Hacker.

For testing, on the new beta EXEs (only 2 have changed), I opened them up in Resource Hacker, deleted the AAA icon group, renamed the BBB icon group to AAA and saved. EXEs worked as expected, no need for any tweak to be set and any reference to the new look is removed. Every place the icon is displayed, the old icons were visible.

The tweak is nice and appreciated and I only did this test to prevent any wonkiness in Windows 10/11 Taskbar, etc. from displaying the new one. If the dual groups remain (again, thank you), I'll skip betas for now on and only update on official releases (and update those EXEs).

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Horst wrote: 25 Sep 2022 15:40 Why not simply add the logic to use an icon named XYicon.jpg into the location of the xyplorer.exe
+1 - I did the tweak to BBB and it worked in most places (funny enough on W11 the taskbar icon never changed to the new icon anyway).
The only place it didn't change was when an icon was referenced via <xy>, this still shows the new one.
Or maybe just let this <xy>-variable abide by the tweak as well?

Edit: Just tested 23.60.0115, didn't change the <xy> behaviour.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)