Address Bar: How to make xyplorer remember paths over a long period of time?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
arafarin

Address Bar: How to make xyplorer remember paths over a long period of time?

Post by arafarin »

Hello,

I use xyplorer 23.00.0300.
How can I make xyplorer remember the paths of (once opened) folders and files in the address bar over a long period of time? This function is extremely useful, but xyplorer seems to remember paths only for a certain (not very long) period of time. It would be most helpful if one could determine the lenght of the remembering period (i.g. "for ever").
Is there any way to do this?

Thanks for any hints.
AF

admin
Site Admin

Re: Address Bar: How to make xyplorer remember paths over a long period of time?

Post by admin »

Yes, there is a way. It is a bit unusual but works well.

1) Open Tools | List Management | Address Bar & Go to...

2) Move the items you want to keep forever to the top of the list (or create them there).

3) Right below that "forever-section" enter a pseudo item looking like exactly this:
-----> mru
EternalMemoryConfig.png
EternalMemoryConfig.png (21.64 KiB) Viewed 642 times
4) Click OK.

When you now open the address bar dropdown, you will see your forever items with a light blue background at the top of the list. Forever.
EternalMemoryDropdown.png
EternalMemoryDropdown.png (11.54 KiB) Viewed 642 times

VeeGee

Re: Address Bar: How to make xyplorer remember paths over a long period of time?

Post by VeeGee »

That's a really cool tip/trick. As a bonus, the entries listed above the MRU line even stay put after running the "ListManagementHouseCleaning.xys" script (when I have it set to clean everything).

arafarin

Post by arafarin »

Many thanks @ admin and VeeGee
If I understand correctly, this works like creating a shortcut. It is very useful, however, it would be nice if xyplorer could do this for every once opened tab or folder/file location without any extra action on my part. It just would save that path somewhere in its memory - and that would it be.
But, nevertheless, the method you suggest is a very good step towards what I would like to be done.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Check out Favorite Folders in the help...

arafarin

Post by arafarin »

@admin
Thank you for your reply.
I know the favorite folder option, but it affords also extra action on my part.
xyplorer seems to "forget" (after a certain period of time) the path of a folder which was once opened, say, a month ago. For example, I sometimes need to look in a folder for my parents, one time each month. The path to this folder is quite complicated, so I would like xyplorer to remember this path forever - without any extra action on my part (like creating shortcut or favorite folders). Maybe this could be created in the upcoming versions of xyplorer.
Thank you.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

XY does not forget after some time, but the number of items in the MRU (most recently used) list is limited. When the limit is reached, then every new path will kick the oldest path out of the list. Pretty normal behavior.

IMO if you want to store a path forever asking for a 1 second activity from you is not too much to ask.

Garonne

Post by Garonne »

I thought the size of the MRU was configurable, but I'm unable to find the option again... Or wasn't it?

phred

Post by phred »

admin wrote: 03 Aug 2022 17:15 3) Right below that "forever-section" enter a pseudo item looking like exactly this:
-----> mru
Thanks Don. This is a great little tip.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Garonne wrote: 11 Nov 2022 17:05 I thought the size of the MRU was configurable, but I'm unable to find the option again... Or wasn't it?
Nope, wasn't.

MBaas

Post by MBaas »

What a neat little feature! :appl: