Deep sort by modified?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Arikdefrasia

Deep sort by modified?

Post by Arikdefrasia »

Is there any way for sorting by Modified to detect changes more than 1 folder deep? So that even if a file is added/edit 4 folders deep into a directory, that root directory will reflect and be sorted to when that file was added/edited?

highend

Re: Deep sort by modified?

Post by highend »

How should a root directory reflect something that happens 4 levels deeper?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal or paypal_donate (at) stdmail (dot) de

Arikdefrasia

Post by Arikdefrasia »

highend wrote: 29 Jun 2022 20:35 How should a root directory reflect something that happens 4 levels deeper?
I guess by detecting the latest date of modification for each subfolder; since each subfolder each has it's own 'last modified' date based on it's own contents, each parent directory would reflect the most recent date of change all the way up to the root directory. Not sure if I'm making any sense, or if this is even remotely possible.

For example:
Parent directory contains 3 subfolders (Red, Green & Blue)
Each of those 3 folders contain one subfolder (folder B) with one file in it.
If I alter the file in Red subfolder B, Red will detect that subfolder B now has a different last modified date.
The Parent directory will however not detect that alteration and will list Red folder as it's original 'last modified date' the same as Green and Blue.

Is it feasible to change that and have the parent reflect any changes within subfolders?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It would be technically possible to add this. However, it is not the way Windows works, and I wonder how many users would actually use it.

Arikdefrasia

Post by Arikdefrasia »

admin wrote: 30 Jun 2022 14:01 It would be technically possible to add this. However, it is not the way Windows works, and I wonder how many users would actually use it.
Oh I'm sure it's not a highly requested feature at all. I was just wondering if it was something that could already be modified in a setting that I skipped over or if a script would suffice. If it's something that requires an entirely new update and feature set, then it's really not that important.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you knew which file was modified deep down, then you could even script it by yourself using timestamp command.

Arikdefrasia

Post by Arikdefrasia »

admin wrote: 30 Jun 2022 14:51 If you knew which file was modified deep down, then you could even script it by yourself using timestamp command.
That's the thing; I wanted to use it in a general sense as I'm constantly moving files around and going back to directories I've already closed out of. Getting back to a subfolder would be faster if it's parent folder are at the top of the list when sorting by last modified. That's all really. Just convenience. Oh well. Thanks for your time.