Clicking on breadcrumb do not lead to original folder anymore

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
dethtroll

Clicking on breadcrumb do not lead to original folder anymore

Post by dethtroll »

In case current directory is a symbolic link clicking on its name on breadcrumbs was leading to the original folder in v20.20.
I was very happy to explore this feature, because in my environment I have different "providers" which represent similar data but using different hierarchy (paths to the same entities across different sources are different). Therefore to create single structured data representation from different sources I used to use symbolic links (which is awesome on its own). So "the feature" of "old" XYplorer gave the ability to navigate to original directory with just a single click. And now (after migrating to 22 version) this feature (undocumented I believe) is gone and I can find no peace. :ghost:

I thinking to roll back to 20.20. Because I do not know any other simple way to navigate to the original folder - now I can only use Folder Properties window, copy original path from disabled text box in Shortcut tab using Spy++ and then "Paste and go" :shock:

Thanks

Horst

Re: Clicking on breadcrumb do not lead to original folder anymore

Post by Horst »

There is no need for the breadcrumb in this case.
If the cursor is on a symbolic link you can use Alt-Right to go into the real target dir.
Or you can use the Forward button.
For dual pane layout you can also use a button with the command Open in other pane (#1406;)
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

dethtroll

Post by dethtroll »

Clicking Right mouse button with Alt pressed does nothing. XYplorer's trying to show built-in context menu, but pressed Alt immediately closes context menu. Anyway at the top of it (context menu appears normally without Alt) I found "Junction" menu item, which contains "Go to junction target" action.

But clicking on breadcrumb still the easier anyway. Moreover I didn't use built-in context menu because it doesn't show all menu items attached to file. (At least in v20.20.)

And now I noticed that using path of symbolic directory in address bar navigates XYplorer to original folder. So in case current location is a symbolic directory clicking on address bar and pressing Return key do navigate to original directory. As far as I understand the thing should not work in this way, XYplorer should stay on same location, but that behavior creates new and awesome opportunity to build new perfect world… well, at least navigate to original directory with less pain. I think clicking on breadcrumb in previous XYplorer version works in the same way but for reason unknown to me in current XYplorer version that "feature" was fixed.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is a setting that should make a difference here:
Configuration | General | Controls & More | Miscellaneous | Resolve junctions

If ticked, the entering a junction path into the address bar should take you to the junction target.

PS: It was this thread the resulted in the behavior change of the breadcrumb, and I still think the change was good: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23325

dethtroll

Post by dethtroll »

Yes, I've tried that setting and it works with address bar only, breadcrumbs ignore it by always using unresolved path.

I've read the topic you gave too and I think both of these options (navigating through address bar and by clicking breadcrumbs) should handle Resolve junctions flag in the same way. Because both are navigation to given path, and it (navigation) should not depend on the way "path-processor" get the path. I think that creates some kind of discrepancy.

So if there is a need to use different navigation styles for address bar and breadcrumbs, then app needs a new option as the author of the original topic mentioned. But that is my opinion only :ninja:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't want to bind it to "Configuration | General | Controls & More | Miscellaneous | Resolve junctions", I'm sure users, including myself, would not like it, and it would break old habits. But I see your point, so I will add a separate option to the context menu of the Breadcrumb Bars.

dethtroll

Post by dethtroll »

Roger that