Quick Access folder disabled

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Smokin_Joe

Quick Access folder disabled

Post by Smokin_Joe »

My Quick Access folder is showing in the tree as a blank icon. I noticed this today when I went to use XYplorer. I don't know what caused the problem. Left clicking the icon displays the drop down list that I've attached to this post.

The folder label has dissappeared and I am unable to pin any folders to the Quick Access folder. Nothing happens when I click the "Pin to Quick access" option in the drop down list when right clicking on a folder that I want to link to the Quick access folder.

I've spent two hours googling this problem and reading through the XYplorer help pages and searching on the forum, but cannot find an answer.

I even downloaded the latest version 23, but the problem remained.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Attachments
Quick Access folder blanked out.jpg
Quick Access folder blanked out.jpg (28.01 KiB) Viewed 1446 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: Quick Access folder disabled

Post by admin »

Hmm, interesting. Which Windows is that?

I mean your tree looks totally weird. Something's wrong with your Windows.

Smokin_Joe

Post by Smokin_Joe »

The attachment is a snip of the drop down you seen after left clicking the blank icon where the Quick Access icon should be. Until XYP glitched, I saw the contents of the Quick Access folder on the RHS of the desktop when left clicking the icon. Now all I get is the drop down that you commented on - and nothing on the RHS of the desktop where the folder contents used to display

I've appended a snip of the top part of the File tree on the LHS of my desktop.

As for windows 10, I'm running the latest update. As far as I can tell, it and File Explorer are working fine. The Quick Access folder still appears and behaves normally in File Explorer, but not in XYP.

As I mentioned in my first post, installling the latest version of XYP made no difference to the problem.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Attachments
Snip of File tree.jpg
Snip of File tree.jpg (27 KiB) Viewed 1385 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In XY this folder is called "Links". And it works well in Windows 10. What could be different in your system, different from all others? :?

Smokin_Joe

Post by Smokin_Joe »

The Links folder worked well for several years until one morning, it didn't.

Given that the equivalent Links folder is working OK in File Explorer, I figured the problem lies within XYP, or more to the point, my instance of XYP.

Installing the latest update did not eliminate the problem. Is my only option now to completely uninstall XYP and start again with installing the latest version that hopefully is not prone to the glitch that has infected my version?

highend

Post by highend »

Links <> Quick Access Folder in File Explorer^^
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highend wrote: 13 Jun 2022 09:57 Links <> Quick Access Folder in File Explorer^^
Oh, right! So we are not talking about the Quick Access Folder at all, but about a dysfunctional Links folder.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Smokin_Joe wrote: 13 Jun 2022 09:40 The Links folder worked well for several years until one morning, it didn't.

Given that the equivalent Links folder is working OK in File Explorer, I figured the problem lies within XYP, or more to the point, my instance of XYP.

Installing the latest update did not eliminate the problem. Is my only option now to completely uninstall XYP and start again with installing the latest version that hopefully is not prone to the glitch that has infected my version?
No need for uninstall. Just try if a fresh instance makes a difference. Type fresh; into the address bar of your current XYplorer and press enter. A new window will open and normally it should show a working Links folder.

Smokin_Joe

Post by Smokin_Joe »

I tried the fresh instance approach when searching the forum for solutions. No joy I'm afraid.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Check out this key in the registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

In the list on the right side there should be an item with Data C:\Users\<your username>\Links. The Name of that item should be a GUID, in my case it is {BFB9D5E0-C6A9-404C-B2B2-AE6DB6AF4968}. Do you have a different one?