PdF preview works for some but not all pdf files

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
beethoven

PdF preview works for some but not all pdf files

Post by beethoven »

I wonder why for most pdf files I can get a preview by hovering my mouse over the file but for some I am getting a "cannot decode" error. I cannot see any difference between those files and the files with preview. I changed the default viewer from Sumatra to Flexi Pdf and to Edge but that makes
no difference.
In config preview formats has office/pdf ticked. Any additional setting I am missing or any reason that some file are excluded from preview?

highend

Re: PdF preview works for some but not all pdf files

Post by highend »

They'll probably have no thumbnail and the hoverbox uses thumbnails for the preview
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

beethoven

Post by beethoven »

interesting - is that dependent on the program that was used to create the pdf or is that something I can fix at my end?

highend

Post by highend »

Animation.gif
Animation.gif (1.55 MiB) Viewed 1310 times

beethoven

Post by beethoven »

I am sorry but depite looking at this video multiple times, I cannot get the setting changed so that it will work.
Sumatra is installed and my default viewer for pdf, so I don't need to install it anymore. I am unable to find the page where you set "let windows show previews" but maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall Sumatra? All the Hover settings are correct and as mentioned and contrary to your video,
my icons are showing the same symbol (Sumatra icon) irrespective of whether they show or come up with an error. :veryconfused:

highend

Post by highend »

I am unable to find the page where you set "let windows show previews" but maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall Sumatra?
I've seen that in old versions of it but with v3.3.3 the "Options" button is still visible when already installed.

Without "Let Windows show previews..." ticked XY will still show a "Cannot decode" message!

Just reinstall it with (via a dos box):

Code: Select all

SumatraPDF-3.3.3-64-install.exe -s -with-preview

beethoven

Post by beethoven »

excellent - this did the trick, now all pdf do show the preview, makes my quick check so much faster - thanks for that :appl: