Can't open files in Windows 10

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
MaxManLA

Can't open files in Windows 10

Post by MaxManLA »

Using XYPlorer 32bit on Windows 10. . All files I try to open whether by double-clicking or right-clicking and choosing to "open with" (there is no "open" in list that appears when I right-click on a file) receive the message "Windows can not access specified path, device or item..." even though I DO have full permission to do so both as user and administrator. For two days I have searched Google and tried various methods found in search results (including threads from this forum) without success. I have set XY as default file manager in every instance available via configuration "shell integration". Tried the "default apps" setting in Windows 10 but XYPlorer was not among choices in any fierldf. Several solutions involving changes to Windows Registry and having to do with context menu or shell integration etc. I dfismissed because there were no successful results mentioned by those who did try these methods. I've never had this problem with previous installations of XYPlorer on earlier versions of Windows and assume it is specifically a Windows 10 issue (one of many BAD "improvements" Microsoft has implemented since Windows 7).

admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't open files in Windows 10

Post by admin »

Welcome to the club,

what you say is a bit surprising. Opening files by double-clicking or right-clicking is probably one of the most common things, and many users are on Win10. So if this would not work I would be flooded with complaints. But I ain't.

Do you have that problem in all locations? Or is that maybe on a portable device?

MaxManLA

Post by MaxManLA »

Thanks Admin for your reply. Forgot to include in my post that I have a licensed 32bit version of XYplorer on Windows 10 64bit PC. I just finished setting full control permissions for my account, as well as ownership, for everything on my external hard drive (hav en't done so for C drive as yet) but still receive same "can';tg access..." message from Windows when trying to open files on that external driv e. Like you, I found it sttrange that few other XY users have had the same problem to the extent I'm experiencing (all files on my computer won't open with XY whereas others have had same issue opening files but limited to just certain types of files i.e. video files or image files of any format. I'm wondering if the problem is something broken or missing (a .dll file for example) in my XYplorer installer package--I have no tech knowledge regarding software programs. I will check the XYplorer websit for a contact link in hopes of e-mailing them about this issue. If there's no solution to the problem andf if I can't get a new install package to replace the copy currently installed, I'll lose the money spent for a license and the time (now into day 3) trying to fix the problem.

MaxManLA

Post by MaxManLA »

IT IS WORKING! Believe it or not, after posting the last reply, I opened XYplorer, clicked on a file and it opened. Opened several other files in different directories and they opened. I haver no idea what happened ort how it was fixed and don't really care, so long as it stays fixed! It's all very, very strange.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Windows is full of surprises, especially 10 and 11... :)