does copy preserving ntfs permissions question?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
giuliastar

does copy preserving ntfs permissions question?

Post by giuliastar »

Hi

May I know if there is a way to enable (and eventually disable) copy folders/files ntfs permissions ?

in the tool->configuration->file operations -> there is nothing to enable or disable on backup operation and custom copy operation ->options
there is an option called Preserve permissions on move operation

I have read the manual but it's not very clear ,according the manual there is
Preserve permissions on move operation

When checked then the security attributes of files are preserved when they are moved in the same volume. Uncheck it to have the moved files inherit the security attributes of their new folder.
well english is not my native language , but I understand reading the manual , it does work only with moving folder and files and on the same volume
so it won't work if I have 2 hard disks and i want to move folders and files and keep ntfs permission
and what's about copy feature?
does it work for copy and backup too ?

to perform a rich copy , i have to select the files /folders and keep the mouse right mouse button and drag on the other panel ?
or the have to keep the left mouse button
because in both operation with the left button i get a windows with drop now? and with the right button i get some time the option rich move/copy but not everytime when i perform a search

thanks

I have searched around the forum , and I have found only very old topics ,10 or 12 years old
viewtopic.php?t=12155
viewtopic.php?t=5894
viewtopic.php?t=2484

Marco

Re: does copy preserving ntfs permissions question?

Post by Marco »

From my test that option doesn't have effect
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

giuliastar

Post by giuliastar »

Marco wrote: 19 Jan 2022 11:41 From my test that option doesn't have effect
Hi Marco
do you mean Preserve permissions on move operation does not work in any way ?
thanks

Marco

Post by Marco »

giuliastar wrote: 19 Jan 2022 16:31
Hi Marco
thanks
Exactly.
I tried with a txt file on the desktop, with full access given to Everyone and no hineritance. Moved to a desktop subfolder, the permissions changed to hineritance enabled. With XY option either enabled or disabled.
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer

giuliastar

Post by giuliastar »

Marco wrote: 19 Jan 2022 16:36
giuliastar wrote: 19 Jan 2022 16:31
Hi Marco
thanks
Exactly.
I tried with a txt file on the desktop, with full access given to Everyone and no hineritance. Moved to a desktop subfolder, the permissions changed to hineritance enabled. With XY option either enabled or disabled.
Hi
I guess it's a bug ,maybe we could move this topic to bug report ,maybe the developer could check ad fix it
thanks

giuliastar

Post by giuliastar »

Hi
i have performante several operations , moving/copying files from windows files to the desktop and to a new folder in c and ,and xyplorer last build does not preserving ntfs permissions

could be added in the wishes subforum please ?

thanks

Marco

Post by Marco »

Can you look into this, Don?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't think this is a bug. XY uses all the standard file copy API. Windows decides whether permissions are copied or not.

What happens when you copy without Custom Copy? (Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Custom Copy Operations | Use Custom Copy)