XY Stalls & Freezes

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
LittleReg1

XY Stalls & Freezes

Post by LittleReg1 »

Was wondering if anyone 'out there' has been experiencing the same problems I've been having with performance since I've purchased this product. XY seems to be very sensitive and significantly more fragile than File Explorer, which is very disappointing, to say the least. Just a sampling of regular issues I've experienced over and again:

Renaming a file causes the app to freeze requiring a kill and restart.
Accessing my DVD drive when there's a disc in it hangs the app for as much as five minutes or more even though the disc has been queued (I can access the files on it in File Explorer).
Expanding or collapsing directories that have a lot of subfolders in them hangs the app or freezes it.
The app will suddenly "lose" external or mapped drives - they'll just disappear.
Right-clicking a file or folder takes forever to display the options menu.
Using the Preview Pane regularly hangs the app.
XY thinks that a .msg file is "in use" once it has been copied to a directory and/or selected, and won't allow renaming/moving/deleting. (I have to kill Outlook in order for XY to "release" the file.)

The above are just a sample of the issues that have plagued me since I've purchased this software, and multiple reinstalls and updates have not fixed any of it. Does anyone have a magic bullet (e.g., "Don't use the dark theme") that would fix all this? I'd be obliged. Thanks.

highend

Re: XY Stalls & Freezes

Post by highend »

Apart from looking if reinstalling Windows fixes some / all of your problems?

You excluded the whole XYplorer directory (or all .exe files individually) in your Antivirus solution?

I don't experience any of your problems (ok, I don't use DVD drives anymore so I can't comment on that)...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

LittleReg1

Post by LittleReg1 »

Well, reinstalling Windows is basically out of the question - as it should be in the year 2022. This was the "fix" for years: tear it all down and start over. This is an admission that we don't know how our own software works, what is troubling it, how we can measure it, and how we can fix it. Rather, it's Microsoft's fault and you can't go wrong by going through hours of rebuilds just to see if this will make things right. If I had a dollar for every time I've reinstalled Windows and the same problems resurfaced, I could retire.

I do not use AV - for the reasons you infer in your reply. AV is always implicated...the whipping boy, even though some of the problems experienced with desktop software indeed can be traced to AV apps. I use Windows Defender and had already listed xyplorer.exe as an exception. I saw the other four executables in the app's directory, but did not know these needed to be managed by the user - I thought the main app would "take care of its own". I have added these exceptions now and look forward to seeing if anything changes.

Thanks for the tip.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I see none of your issues here, nor do I see such reports of others.

Which version are you using?