HELP Please with XYPlorer After PC Crash

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
kodyman

Re: HELP Please with XYPlorer After PC Crash

Post by kodyman »

Sorry but I don't get it.
My program is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer and the Data file folder is in the same installation folder C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data.
What am I missing?

Should Setup.ini possibly be:

Code: Select all

[Appdata]
Path=%APPDATA%\XYplorer\Data
In my mind, meaning that XYplorer should look for application data in the path XYplorer\Data?
I am NOT a coder/scripter/programmer (whichever term is appropriate here). I am mainly a user that adjusts a program to their preferences and uses. I do learn bits and pieces here and other places to help me solve problems but this is the first time I have come up against this type of issue.

Thanks,

jupe

Post by jupe »

jupe wrote: 16 Jan 2022 21:09 The contents of your Data folder should be in the path that was shown in the screenshot you provided of Startup.ini, it looks like you have some files in the wrong spot so half your config is in the wrong folder, it shouldn't be under Program Files.
The contents (not the actual folder) of C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data should instead be in the path shown in Startup.ini, so with the XYplorer window active and this path: %APPDATA%\XYplorer on your clipboard press Ctrl+V, which should make XY take you to the CORRECT folder where the config files should be, alternatively if you still have your menu bar visible, then use this command: Go | Go to Application Data Folder then Backup what exists in that folder, then move the stuff from C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data to there, then restart without saving.

File | Restart without Saving

No config files should be anywhere in the C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer\Data folder, and the Data folder shouldn't exist there at all.

kodyman

Post by kodyman »

OK, I found it.
it is under C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer

I deleted the Data folder I had put in C:\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer (after first copying it to a different drive and folder just in case there was something in it I may need for some reason later).

I was able to start XYplorer with no problem. Still had tags, labels and comments but not seeing any of my folder view settings and tabs weren't showing. I tried loading a previous configuration file and BANG I am back to ground zero like shown a couple of posts up as far as the way the screen looks. No Menu Bar, address bar, tabs (locked or otherwise) etc. With other things going on here I had to go between I didn't concentrate enough on this. But I think I know what I did wrong and how to fix it now. That will happen tomorrow.

The main thing that finally clicked was I didn't realize the entire program with data files isn't located in the programs folder. To be able to read/write the data file is somewhere else. I will get there.

Thanks to you and highend!!

kodyman

Post by kodyman »

I am making headway. It is beginning to look like what I had set up before the crash.

The only items not as before is my Toolbar, Colors and Styles configuration, Tab settings and Hamburger Menu. When I bring up the Hamburger Menu it only shows the default menu selections as if it was a new install.

Where are the above settings stored please? Are they in .ini or .dat files? I have found some older .ini and .dat files I had saved (copied as a backup) to a different drive and folder. If I knew where these settings were stored I may be able to copy those to the C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer folder and resurrect at least some of my settings.

One thing is for sure. After I get everything back where I want it I will be doing a Backup and copying periodic (if not daily) ORGANIZED backups somewhere externally so I am not in this position even again.

Thanks!

Edit:
I finally found in the User Guide that Favorites are are typically in XYplorer.ini. I will have to see what old XYplorer.ini files I may have. Is this also where the Hamburger/Breadcrumb setting are? I didn't see anything on where they were saved.

highend

Post by highend »

CrumbHamburger=...

in XYplorer.ini
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

kodyman

Post by kodyman »

highend,

Found CrumbHamburger=1. But it wasn't in XYplorer.ini.
It is in the XYplorer-v22_10_0000 Conf.ini I posted about earlier. This is the .ini that doesn't have my license info.
I am also seeing that XYplorer-v22_10_0000 Conf.ini has my TagsList to select from.

Thinking back, when I was using v22-10-000, I did a File|Settings Special|Save Configuration As... and named it XYplorer-v22_10_0000 Conf.ini. Thinking it would be a copy I could go back to if needed. Hence the name of the file.
But now it seems like from then on that is where any of my settings changes were made and saved. Except for my license info.

If I were to copy the XYplorer-v22_10_0000 Conf.ini to a different location, rename it to XYplorer.ini and copy it back to C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer is it possible this could solve all of this?
It may then pop up as an evaluation copy, I can enter my info and it will write it to that XYplorer.ini??

kodyman

Post by kodyman »

If I were to copy the XYplorer-v22_10_0000 Conf.ini to a different location, rename it to XYplorer.ini and copy it back to C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\XYplorer is it possible this could solve all of this?
It may then pop up as an evaluation copy, I can enter my info and it will write it to that XYplorer.ini??
That did it!!!
Everything is back as it was before the crash.

Thank you to each for your your postings helping me figure this out. It was a pain but I have a better understanding of the interaction of the two folders and settings. And most important what not to do in the future.
Now I am going to clear out all of the old .ini files I created and save in a safe place copies of the folders and better organize so I know which is the latest.

Thank you again!!!