[Solved] Custom Column for URLs

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
VeeGee

[Solved] Custom Column for URLs

Post by VeeGee »

Good morning all,
I had an idea for a custom column that I would add for folders that would display the word "Link" or a colored dot that would contain a clickable URL to that folders' website (which would open in the browser). I looked at some of the existing columns and none seem to have it. There was one called "Website", but I think that is property for files or something.

Example, in my Utilities folder I have subfolders for each portable app that I use. Would be cool to see this column and be able to quickly browse the sites from XY (to the browser) instead of scrolling through my Favorites.

I am sure this is possible, hell, is there anything that isn't possible in XY ! I'm not sure where to start and was looking for some direction to get me going.

Thanks !
Last edited by VeeGee on 02 Dec 2021 21:18, edited 1 time in total.

highend

Re: Custom Column for URLs

Post by highend »

Em, what?

Put a .url file into all of these subfolders with the same name and define a cc with trigger = click and a mini script to open that url file?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

For a visual, I added a URL to my Tags field to demonstrate. Instead of Tags, this would be a new column, e.g. URL and instead of showing the actual hyperlink, it would be the word Link (although the hyperlink name would be fine) - that when clicked, would open the URL in the browser.
Image-002.png
Image-002.png (6.8 KiB) Viewed 612 times
I do like your idea of the script w/matching URL file. That may end up being easier to do.

jupe

Post by jupe »

You can use Extra Column, type = Location, which also supports captions in the normal format, like you requested.

PS: It looks like you are using FRS, so you would probz need this enabled for it to be able to be clicked on to launch:

Configuration | Information | Tags | Also on Full Row Select

Otherwise, disable FRS only in that folder via FVS, alternatively with FRS enabled rclick when its not selected & use top context menu item.

VeeGee

Post by VeeGee »

HOT DAMN ! This is exactly what I was looking for - your suggestion is working perfect, even w/FVS still enabled. There are so many column types, I didn't even get to the Extra ones to try.

Thank you very much !

UPDATE To make it a little faster for me to get URLs from the browser (Vivaldi in this case), I added a bookmarklet that will get the URL of the current web page plus the Link text in front. This pops a dialog in the browser, from there I can Copy and then Paste into the XY column.

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(s){try{s=document.selection.createRange().text}catch(_){s=document.getSelection()}prompt('','%22Link%22%20'+location+s)})()
Modified from the source :
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/527 ... urrent-url