Hide file extensions in all folders

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
chieleman

Hide file extensions in all folders

Post by chieleman »

Hello there,

I would like to hide file extensions. I have searched on this topic and have come a bit of the way, but not all the way.

As far as I understand I can only hide the file extensions in Detail view. That is fine, that is what I mainly use. When I use Tools/Customise list/hide extensions this works fine for the tab I have opened, but not on other tabs. And when I open a new tab I have to do it again. This is a bit time consuming... So I tried the XYplorer.ini with https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=tweak

I followed it to the letter. But it doesn't work. Instead, even the tabs I had set up to hide file extensions show them again. I have ListHideExtInDetailsOnly=1

Any suggestion on how to fix this?

TIA

Chieleman

highend

Re: Hide file extensions in all folders

Post by highend »

Hide the extensions column, menu - view - folder view settings - define this folder view as default
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Horst

Post by Horst »

I will never understand why poeple want to hide extensions.
Its a big security problem after some virus has stored hidden executables.
Also in a normal view you can't know for shure what type of file you double click.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Same here. Especially people that use an advanced file manager. A mystery. :om:

jupe

Post by jupe »

chieleman wrote: 17 Nov 2021 09:48 As far as I understand I can only hide the file extensions in Detail view.
The tweak you set does the opposite to what you want to do, you shouldn't of set it if you actually wanted to hide extensions in other views, so you might way to reset the tweak you set back to default. There are many options and ways to setup XY to do what you want so I can't really explain them all here, but the easiest way I'd suggest for you is if you enable the following option (maybe only temporarily, depending on your preference):

Configuration | Colors and Styles | Styles | Apply list styles globally

and then set the following setting (or maybe toggle off/on if it was already enabled on the currently opened tab):

Tools | Customize List | Hide Extensions

then it should apply to all open tabs, and new ones. If you have saved FVS they will probably need updating individually, and you can set the default FVS with the Hide Extensions setting turned on, if you have never used FVS then ignore this paragraph, alternatively if you want to know more about FVS the help file is the place to look.

PS: Personally I'd never turn off extensions either.

dwly

Post by dwly »

Hello.
Perhaps you jump to judgment too quickly. I like to remove extensions from the (file) Name column, and display the Ext(ensions) column. This gives me a quick sort on extensions, or a quick visual scan to identify a specific extension. For example, in a column of legal client documents, the filenotes, which in my case have a .md extension, are the most useful documents to review - so spotting them quickly is a great help.
I have found that even if I enable Tools>Customise List>Hide Extensions, lists will randomly turn them on again. It is frequent enough that I have added a button to the toolbar to quickly hide extensions.
So, I would appreciate a global hide extensions option for all lists that worked all the time, so I can just use the Ext column. Does there exist such an animal?
Kind regards,
Desmond.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hold SHIFT when you click Tools | Customize List | Hide Extensions (or any other style) and it will be applied to all tabs.

(same effect as Configuration | Colors and Styles | Styles | Apply list styles globally)

dwly

Post by dwly »

Thank you Admin. That probably explains why I thought there were random resets of the hide file extensions option :-)
Kind regards,
Desmond.

chieleman

Post by chieleman »

Dear all,

Sorry for the late reply and thank you very much for the responses!

I was under the impression I had ticked the option to notify me by email when a reply poste. Since I didn't get an email, I just thought there was no answer. :-)

The Shift option works great. However, one of the main reasons I wanted the extensions gone is because every time I double click a file, it doesn't open the file, but instead let's me rename the file. It drives me crazy. Now I have hidden the file extensions, but the same problem persists... Now I figured out that when you hide the preview window, it opens the file. So is there no way to use a preview window and let the file open on a double click?

I totally understand the security issue about hiding file extensions. I have been working with a computer since 1989 and have my own pc business. So I know how to use a computer quite well. In my experience common sense is the best protection. By the time I would open a file in XYPlorer it is pretty certain that this file is save. And like somebody else mentioned, the colomn "Ext" also shows the extension.

I hope somebody can help me with the double click issue.

TIA
chieleman

highend

Post by highend »

What happens if you disable

Menu - Tools - Customize List - Rename On Slow Double-Click?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

chieleman

Post by chieleman »

Thanks for your quick answer.
When I do that, it just selects the file (and shows in preview window) but doesn't open it.
If I double click it after it has been selected (by a single or double click), it opens fine. I would like it to open up right away on a double click.
It is strange that it does change the action, because I definitely don't click slowly...

Thanks

chieleman