Help with changing list sort behavior

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
mac_dizzy

Help with changing list sort behavior

Post by mac_dizzy »

Hello,

Okay one more new post for the day... last one (I hope). Again, sorry if this info is available somewhere - I am searching but I'm not finding it.

I'm struggling a bit configuring list sorting to my liking. List sorting as in when I'm inside a directory and use one of the columns to sort (ex: name, date modified, date created, etc.).

My default sort mode is by name, which is what I want the vast majority of the time, but sometimes I need to change that on a per-folder basis. Basically what I'm struggling with is, if I'm in a folder and I change the sort mode there, sub-folders (ones I haven't been in/set a sort mode for yet anyway) inherit the sort mode from that parent folder, but I don't want them to, and I don't know how to change that.

I'd like my default sort mode to apply all the time (y'know, by default) unless I've manually changed a folder's sort mode. And when I do change sort mode in a folder, I only want it to apply to that folder, I don't want sub-folders to inherit that override. If I'm in C:\Example and I change sort to date modified, I don't want any subfolders like C:\Example\SubFolder to inherit that override. Hopefully that makes sense..

Thanks in advance
dizzy

highend

Re: Help with changing list sort behavior

Post by highend »

Set up your default sort order
Menu - View - Folder View Settings - Define this Folder View as Default

Go into a folder where it should be different
Set it up as necessary (sort by column)
Menu - View - Folder View Settings - Save Folder View
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

mac_dizzy

Post by mac_dizzy »

Ah yep, that got me sorted out. Thank for that.

Is there any way to have XY automatically save new folder views when I do something like change sort order? Without me having to manually save folder views? Too bad there isn't even a keyboard shortcut to save current folder view..

highend

Post by highend »

For folders that you haven't already set up a folder view setting? That's not possible (and not desired by Don)

Technically, it is (via custom event actions) but it's unlikely that you want to use that.

And a button? Create a user defined one and use this as the on left click script: #472;
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

mac_dizzy

Post by mac_dizzy »

Ah, okay, fair enough.

Yep, custom button will suffice. Thank you so much for helping me with this.

mac_dizzy

Post by mac_dizzy »

Just following up on this. Turns out I didn't need a custom button - a button to save current folder view already exists in the toolbar. Intuitively, it is the giant 'F'.