Mount image on virtual drive via UDC help needed.

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
velvet

Mount image on virtual drive via UDC help needed.

Post by velvet »

Hi, i am just exploring the possibilities of this brilliant product and i have got a little question ... Right now i am trying to get xyplorer to mount an .iso (or any other) disc image onto my virtual drive via keyboard shortcut. I use alcohol 52% and in windows explorer it has a shell context menu integrated command mount image...(THE SAME command shows up also in xyplorer) so i guess alcohol itself has a command that mounts currently selected image .... the problem i have is - alcohol cmd command requires a path to the image .... so it is quite annoying to write the path to current cd image because often it can be fairly long .... :) and besides i would have to change UDC for each new image so the question is - is there a way to insert a character in UDC that would automatically generate the path of an item i am currently focused on in file view ??? sorry if it is a noobish question .... :wink:

P.S. The main mount command for alcohol is

AxCmd.exe [drive:] [/M:path]

so in my UDC i am writing:

"D:\Program Files\Multimedia\Alcohol 52\AxCmd.exe" F: /M

and THEN i need to include the path after the /M: command

so i write ...

"D:\Program Files\Multimedia\Alcohol 52\AxCmd.exe" F: /M:<focitem> focus l

so i try to open an image on c:\Downloads\Image name.iso

then it returns the error message system cannot find a the file specified c:\Downloads\Image note that it has cut the filename straight before the space .... so i try to put the whole thing in quotes like this:

""D:\Program Files\Multimedia\Alcohol 52\AxCmd.exe" F: /M:<focitem> focus l"

and then just nothing happens....

hmm where i am going wrong ???

cant find the path specified ....

thanks....

admin
Site Admin

Re: Mount image on virtual drive via UDC help needed.

Post by admin »

Hi!

The variable for current path is <curpath>. So you could try this:

"D:\Program Files\Multimedia\Alcohol 52\AxCmd.exe" F: /M: "<curpath>"

BTW, what's that "focus l" in your example?? Part of the command line or XY scripting? In the latter case you'd need to add a separator, and pack the whole thing into a Run Script UDC, e.g.

open "D:\Program Files\Multimedia\Alcohol 52\AxCmd.exe" F: /M: "<curpath>"; focus l;

(beware: air code, first coffee in the morning ... :wink: )

Don

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

Based on what I understood, I think you have two options:

- UDC "Run Script" with this as Script:

Code: Select all

open """D:\Program Files\Multimedia\Alcohol 52\AxCmd.exe"" F: /M:""<curitem>""";
- UDC "Open With" with this as Application:

"D:\Program Files\Multimedia\Alcohol 52\AxCmd.exe" F: /M:"<items>"
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

velvet

Post by velvet »

awesome - it worked ... yes that "focus l" was my attempt to combine xy programming with the cmd alcohol commands .... i guess not very successful ... :(

And thank you for the quick help on sunday morning...

geez i just wonder why i didn't get rid of windows explorer sooner .... :) this thing is brilliant :)

also to the admin .. i know that you have already denied this suggestion but just wanted to say that this program would benefit from straight pdf thumbnailing..... i often work with multiple pdf files and if i see the first page, i can know what to do with the file ... of course i can use file preview which is good, but if you have more than 100 different pdfs, it takes ages to preview all of them ... coz the preview takes a little moment to load the pdf ... so maybe you could find a way how to for example incorporate ADOBE pdf previewing function into xyplorer ... so maybe it doesnt require that much programming.... but i guess adobe wouldnt be so keen on sharing the code :(

also .... i got this thing called Xentient Thumbnails http://xentient.com/products/thumbnails/

the trick is that i a quite often need to work with images (i mean loads of them) and this program generates thumbnails as icons of all the image files (i am sure you know what it does :wink: ) so right now it works in explorer, but in xy the icons are just white ..... (default file icon) so the question is - is there a way how to apply this program to xy ? ??

and the last thing .... how do i get xy to preview .eps and .ai and other vector graphics ... ??

Just wanted to thank you for this brilliant app ... i enjoy less crashing :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

velvet wrote:awesome - it worked ...
Good, thank jacky! (I got my third coffee in the meantime...)

I tried to do PDF thumbnails once and failed. I might give it another try somewhen in future.

xentient... You know, XY thumbnails are all homegrown. I don't know how xentient works, probably via thumbs.db files?? XY does not use them...

.eps and .ai - hey, I'd like that, too but... same as PDF: dunno how!

velvet

Post by velvet »

about .ai and .eps - Xn View has this function .... i beleive it uses ghostscript to generate the previews....

when you think about implementing the pdfs ... some time in the future you might want to look how Scansoft Paperport handles pdfs .... (or mac for the unlinear example) that you can flip the pages in thumbnail mode ...
what i think is that those kind of little things could make xyplorer very special :) but if you don't know then i hope this could happen some day :)

by the way all those programs i mentioned are freeware .... so it might be possible that they could share a part of the code or help you with advice ... :)

or maybe not ...

also if xentient works via thumbs .db files and xy doesn't use them, but it still caches the thumbnails somwhere so i guess it would need to source the images from where xy generates them.... or maybe it isn't that simple ... i am just poking in the dark ;)

hmm this is wierd... you see if xentient wouldn't work at all then xy would display my current (or default icons) but it just shows blank white icons .. so i guess it looks like xentient works only it hasn't got images to display ... and if you say xy does't use thumbs.db file then i guess this is the problem ... and solution would be to rewrite the xentient thumbnails program so it can source the files from where xy caches them .... which is not likely gonna happen :(

i have to apologize for expressing these thoughts which to you might be slightly annoying because as you can see i have no coding experience so just poking in the dark :)

wes and thanks to jacky .. i am glad the script works ...

erm question for jacky yes what switch do you add to winrar to add currently selected items to one archive named in the name of the folder they are in ???

thanks again for your help.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

velvet wrote:erm question for jacky yes what switch do you add to winrar to add currently selected items to one archive named in the name of the folder they are in ???
To add selected items into a RAR named after the current folder, an "Open With" UDC like this should word:

"WinRAR" a -ep1 "<curfolder>.rar" "<items>"
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

velvet

Post by velvet »

thanks again ..... so as i understand to write a correct cmd command, you have to put each value in quotes ??

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

WinRAR is quoted to tell XY to use it as a registered application, otherwise the full path should have been specified.

But yes, you should quote everything here because should there be spaces in the name of the current folder or items' names, the quotes are required so that WinRAR knows how to treat the command line (to know where things begin & end)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic