How to show small size subfolder icons along large size thumbnail images?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
okumam

How to show small size subfolder icons along large size thumbnail images?

Post by okumam »

Let's say I have a folder that contains a bunch of images or videos, but also some subfolders. I set a large thumbnail view because I want to be able to see what the pictures are showing. But this means that the subfolders, whose icons are the standard yellow folder, are also huge. While large icons are preferred for the images, I wish it would be possible to have a mixed view, in which the subfolder icons are smaller and easier to look through.

Is it possible to set a special setting just for the subfolder icons within a particular view?

klownboy

Re: How to show small size subfolder icons along large size thumbnail images?

Post by klownboy »

Hey okumam, there's no way to display different size thumbnails in the same folder you are viewing. You can have different sizes for the parent folder than the sub folders. Check out "Folder View Settings (FVS)" if you haven't already. What you should consider is displaying those subfolders as images instead of those ugly yellow folders.

Do those subfolders also contain at least one image file? Please take a look at this thread on using an image for a folder viewtopic.php?p=158164#p158164. Also take a look this ZoomtoFillFolderThumbs [Script] here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15509. You don't need to have the folders display as Zoom-to-Fill as I've shown in the link, but you can at least have them displayed as images. There's no need to be looking at ugly yellow folders. Do a forum search using "desktop.ini+folder.jpg" and you'll find a ton of background information and examples.

Also in menu Tools > Configuration > Preview > Thumbnails, make sure you have "Show Folder thumbnails" and "Show thumbnails for non-images" checked.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

okumam

Post by okumam »

Thanks for the reply. I actually prefer the yellow boring folder icon, as they don't present distracting previews of what's inside the subfolders. The folder names are sufficiently descriptive- like the years for images, or categories for videos. It's just that for the subfolders, what matters is the name (description) and I wish the folder icon didn't take as much space so I could see all the subfolders in a tight space, and then see the large image thumbnails as I scrolled down.

I hoped there may be a "mixed" setting, kind of like how the subfolders can be sorted to be at the top, separately from the rest of the content in the folder.
klownboy wrote: 21 Oct 2021 18:39 Hey okumam, there's no way to display different size thumbnails in the same folder you are viewing. You can have different sizes for the parent folder than the sub folders. Check out "Folder View Settings (FVS)" if you haven't already. What you should consider is displaying those subfolders as images instead of those ugly yellow folders.

Do those subfolders also contain at least one image file? Please take a look at this thread on using an image for a folder viewtopic.php?p=158164#p158164. Also take a look this ZoomtoFillFolderThumbs [Script] here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15509. You don't need to have the folders display as Zoom-to-Fill as I've shown in the link, but you can at least have them displayed as images. There's no need to be looking at ugly yellow folders. Do a forum search using "desktop.ini+folder.jpg" and you'll find a ton of background information and examples.

Also in menu Tools > Configuration > Preview > Thumbnails, make sure you have "Show Folder thumbnails" and "Show thumbnails for non-images" checked.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nope, not possible. But there is a command to quickly hide any folders from the list: View | Show Items | Show Folders in List. A toolbar button "Hide Folders in List" is also available.