Network drives 'Location currently not available'

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Elessar

Network drives 'Location currently not available'

Post by Elessar »

Hello,

I am having trouble with XYplorer regarding network drives. Here is what XYplorer shows:
2021-10-05_15-56-16.jpg
2021-10-05_15-56-16.jpg (15.15 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
This drive is a mapped drive created by Google Drive app (Google Drive for desktop). However, the same applies to mapped shares to my NAS.

In Windows Explorer, I get this:
2021-10-05_15-58-28.jpg
2021-10-05_15-58-28.jpg (27.96 KiB) Viewed 2285 times
As you can see, the network share is accessible. Also, the mapped shares to my NAS are available in Windows Explorer but not in XYplorer. That is quite an issue for me because I use many files in these mapped drives/shares daily. This issue happens intermittently. Sometimes the mapped drives/network shares are available, but a few minutes later, they can be gone, and the above error message is there. It is related to XYplorer because all files are perfectly accessible using Windows Explorer when I have this problem.

Here is what I have tried so far
- Reboot the laptop
- Reboot Google Drive
- End XYplorer process in the task manager and restart it
- Refresh (F5)
- Refresh tree (F4)

Is there a setting interfering with this behavior? Does anyone know what I can do to fix this issue?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Regards,
Rob

Elessar

Re: Network drives 'Location currently not available'

Post by Elessar »

Hello,

Does anyone please have a solution? Perhaps the moderator? Because my trial ends in a couple of days and with this issue, I need to conclude that this app does not work correctly. Sorry for pushing this, and thanks in advance!

Kindest regards,
Rob

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint »

Elessar wrote: 06 Oct 2021 14:14Does anyone please have a solution? Perhaps the moderator? Because my trial ends in a couple of days and with this issue, I need to conclude that this app does not work correctly. Sorry for pushing this, and thanks in advance!
Rob

Network issues with XY are well known - I have nothing but weird delays and file share challenges almost daily. I have not run into a "location unavailable " for a long while but as you can see - File Explorer always works and XY not so much.

I have always hoped that Don would take one solid month to do a series of "network" ONLY updates to break down his networking code and really find out why XY is not as responsive (or efficient) as File Explorer when accessing network resources.

Now - I am no fan of File Explorer either but it works without fail when I need it. I suspect this has a lot to do with XY's underlying makeup (being coded in VB6) - that alone will pretty much ensure it will never be as efficient (or reliable) as anything done here in the 2020's.

There was an announcement back in 2020 that Don was going to finally move the XY code to a modern .NET framework but that got cancelled after a few months of exploration.

I am starting to think that my time with XY will soon be coming to an end as well as tech moves on and these ongoing network issues seem to linger forever without any improvement.

VP

highend

Post by highend »

Reboot your computer.

Access a LAN share with Windows Explorer
After doing this, open it (the same) with XY

Doing it this way, does XY show the "Location currently not available" after a while for that share?

Did you try it with a fresh XY instance?

And additionally: If you report or ask something, add the XY version information^^
And don't push any thread after a single day, regardless of the reasons...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@Vocalpoint: Thanks for your theories but they are all wrong. :) If more users were complaining about network issues, I would certainly take the time to troubleshoot them. But these cases are very rare, and determining the particular constellation required to reproduce such a problem is usually quite tedious as the variable factors are almost endless.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@Elessar: Which version are you using?

highend

Post by highend »

There was an announcement back in 2020 that Don was going to finally move the XY code to a modern .NET framework but that got cancelled after a few months of exploration.
Which would have changed nothing. XYs network code is calling Windows API and that API hasn't changed since decades in a relevant way
and these ongoing network issues seem to linger forever without any improvement.
I haven't had network issues with XY since 10 years
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

I updated a few days ago, now I am using version 22.30.0100

The issue is quite intermittent but persistent and frustrating. One moment I can access a network share and the

It is correct that I can access a particular share with Windows Explorer. Then open XYplorer and go to the same location. Sometimes I get the error message immediately, sometimes after I switched between folders and return to the same share.

Just now I restarted XYplorer and saw the content of a folder in a share (M:\My Drive\Opleiding\Zoom) was visible. When I clicked on one of these folders I get the message again.

I do not use a special setup and installed the program 25 days ago.

Perhaps this is also relevant: when I copy a file in the same folder the whole system freezes for a few minutes. When I do the same in Windows Explorer (same file in the same folder) it happens instantly and no freeze. Does that help?

Many thanks for the help.

Kindest regards,
Rob

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When it happens again, run this thru the address bar (replace Q:\Subfolder with your path):

Code: Select all

exist "Q:\Subfolder";
The return might enlighten us.

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

Hello Admin,

Here is the information that comes up when I do what you asked me to do:

XYplorer 22.30.0100 - Windows 10 Windows 10, 64-bit, Release 2009, Build 19042.1237 - 2021-10-06 21:28:32

Path: M:\My Drive\Opleiding\E-learning\Definitieve versie modules\Introductievideos
Real Path: M:\My Drive\Opleiding\E-learning\Definitieve versie modules\Introductievideos
ExistFile: False
ExistPath: True
ExistFolder: True
ExistItemFF: True
ExistPathFF: True
ExistPathOrFile: True
ExistPathOrFileShell: True
ExistIcon: True
IsNetworkLocation: False
GetDriveType: 3 (DRIVE_FIXED)
GetItemType: 2
GetFileAttributes: 0x10 (16)
Owner: LAPTOP-ROB\Rob Willemse
This path available in Tree: False
Current node available in Tree: True
Watchable: True
FilenamesCaseSensitive: False

Or this one
XYplorer 22.30.0100 - Windows 10 Windows 10, 64-bit, Release 2009, Build 19042.1237 - 2021-10-06 21:29:46

Path: M:\My Drive
Real Path: M:\My Drive
ExistFile: False
ExistPath: True
ExistFolder: True
ExistItemFF: True
ExistPathFF: True
ExistPathOrFile: True
ExistPathOrFileShell: True
ExistIcon: True
IsNetworkLocation: False
GetDriveType: 3 (DRIVE_FIXED)
GetItemType: 2
GetFileAttributes: 0x10 (16)
Owner: LAPTOP-ROB\Rob Willemse
This path available in Tree: False
Current node available in Tree: True
Watchable: True
FilenamesCaseSensitive: False

Five minutes ago I was able to access this folder and see the files

Does this help you to pinpoint the problem?

Kindest regards,
Rob

hansmuff

Post by hansmuff »

I have somewhat similar issues with XY on my work laptop. It connects to work via VPN, and a batch file then maps my drives to work network locations.

Very often do I get "currently not available" especially when doing other local stuff on the 2nd pane, at least a handful of times in a 2-3h session (I oftentimes work offline so then it doesn't come into play.) This never happens in File Explorer, but I hate FE so much, I'm putting up with this aspect of XY.

I've tried messing with settings etc. I've used XY for years now (lifetime license) and that just isn't improving, sadly.

Now.. usually when I hit F5 (refresh) the location will suddenly be there. I've gotten so used to this, I barely realize it. It's annoying, but XY has penetrated my workflow so much I do not want to miss it. Yes, I wish this got some TLC.

But I understand for a new user this might be a dealbreaker.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When this message appears, how exactly did you access this folder? Click in Tree, Tab change, double-click in List...?

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

Actually, it does not matter. Just now I started XYplorer and saw in both panes the folders of my M: share. When I clicked in the lower pane on the icon of a folder I received the error message. Then I decided to make a short video so you can see what happens. Here is the short video: https://www.screencast.com/t/Dt5WeaV3PZ. Immediately after clicking the error message comes up.

I tried to double-click on the folder's name, click on the icon of the folder and click on the breadcrumb. It does not make a difference and gets me the same error.

Elessar

Post by Elessar »

I found out something strange. When I start XYplorer, I can see the content of the mapped shares. When I open a folder, the error message appears. However, when I close and open XYplorer again, the folder is opened, and the folder I clicked on previously is shown. However, when I click on it, the error message comes up, and nothing helps (refresh, etc.).

Here is a video of that behavior: https://www.screencast.com/t/nkGVMzPH8Yq

Does this help?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SC exist returns IsNetworkLocation: False for this path, so the mapping is not visible to XYplorer at that moment. At the same time all other tests see the path as if it is a normal fixed drive (not mapped). This is hard to understand. :? :maf: