can't modify folders on NAS

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
kileytoo

can't modify folders on NAS

Post by kileytoo »

Since I moved most of my files to a NAS I am having issues when trying to rename, delete, or move folders.

It's annoying because you have to click or press Esc through a series of prompts from XYplorer and Windows, even before attempting troubleshooting (which usually requires closing XYplorer, trying with Windows Explorer, and if that does not work restarting Windows)

I think I have narrowed down at least some issues to one thing: the last thumbs.db used by XYplorer is not released. I am not sure if this happens always or only when thumbnail creation was interrupted (pressing Esc). Anyway, I tried using the utility Unlocker but it does not help (you need to restart Windows anyway).

Sometimes I can work around this by tricking XYplorer to focus on a different folder (by selecting another random folder with images, then performing the desired folder operation by right-clicking in the tree) but it's time-consuming and I am not sure if it always works.

I believe this is the same issue that was first reported in the thread "An NAS drive issue" (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2142).

I tried looking at various XYplorer settings but found nothing helpful yet.

I definitely do not want to go back to Windows Explorer (where the issue is not present) but I am not sure what further steps I could take to make folder operations easy and smooth as they have always been?

kileytoo

Re: can't modify folders on NAS

Post by kileytoo »

Another workaround, and one that always works, is to perform the folder operation from the file explorer in the NAS admin tools but that is also time-consuming.

kileytoo

Post by kileytoo »

Is anyone using XYplorer for folder operations on a NAS successfully?

Windows 10
ASUSTOR NAS
latest ADM version

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Yes, I use XY on mapped drives on my Synology NAS all the time and without any problems.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

kileytoo

Post by kileytoo »

Thanks. These are my settings, do you see anything different that may explain why thumbs.db remains locked on my system and prevents folder operations?

Thumbnails

Code: Select all

https://ibb.co/KFNY015
Tree an List

Code: Select all

https://ibb.co/Y3S5jMY

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

You can upload pictures straight to the forum with "Insert Image".

I don't use any thumbnails so can't comment in this area.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)