Info tips only while the shift key held down applies to HoverBox

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
klownboy

Info tips only while the shift key held down applies to HoverBox

Post by klownboy »

I noticed that when the Configuration FileInfoTips setting for "Show info tips only while the shift key is held down", it applies that shift key setting to the Hover Box as well. I'm not sure this is the way it should work. In my case (see Configuration figure), I have show Hover box only when hovering file icon checked and FileInfoTips on the filename. Shouldn't the Hover Box work on the file icon without the shift key held down or are they internally tied? Thanks.
FileInfoTips.jpg
FileInfoTips.jpg (61.04 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

klownboy

Re: Info tips only while the shift key held down applies to HoverBox

Post by klownboy »

Hi Don, could you take a look at this one. Maybe I should have posted in Bug Reports, but I figured I'd ask a question first.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's by design. The setting Configuration | Information | File Info Tips & Hover Box | Show info tips only while the shift key is held down applies to both file info tips and hover box.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Okay, I figured they were tied, but now I know it's by design. You may want to clarify the setting to: "Show info tips / HoverBox only while..." It's all under the main section "File Info Tips & Hover Box", but that setting is really just under File Info tips.

Not a big deal. I asked only because I don't like having either HoverBox or Info tips popping up when hovering in thumbnail view, but like to see them while hovering in list and detailed view. So if I turn them both off in thumbnail view by checking the subject "shift" option, then I have to use the shift key in list and detail views as well which is not what I want.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Understandable. The future will bring a solution.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Thanks Don.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

1) Are you aware that you can eliminate the hover box from thumbnails and tiles here?: Configuration | Information | File Info Tips & Hover Box | Show Hover Box | Select Context...

2) The following settings apply to File Info Tips AND Hover Box:

Configuration | Information | File Info Tips & Hover Box | In network locations as well
Configuration | Information | File Info Tips & Hover Box | For junctions as well
Configuration | Information | File Info Tips & Hover Box | Show info tips only while the shift key is held down
Configuration | Information | File Info Tips & Hover Box | Initial delay in milliseconds
Configuration | Information | File Info Tips & Hover Box | Visible time in milliseconds

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Hi Don, I am aware of those settings. The problem is:
- I don't want to see either File Info Tips or HoverBox in thumbnail view
- I do want File Info Tips and HoverBox in detail or list view without using the shift key
- If I turn off File Info Tips, I don't have them in detail or list view since it applies to all views and I'd rather see them in list and detail views.
- If I set "Show info tips only while the shift key is held down", then I have to use the shift key in list and detail view as well which is not what I want either

Don this is not a huge deal. Ideally it would be nice to have the flexibility to state the context for where the shift key is needed when "Show info tips only while the shift key is held down" is checked.
[] Thumbnail and tile views
[] Detail and list views
Alternate: You were thinking in this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23490 about coming up with a CID and a get("#CID") for determining if HoverBox was active or not. Maybe that could be applied to File Info Tips as well. At least for scripters, we could determine if File Info Tips are active or HoverBox is active.
Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't want to over-complicate it.

I assume your main problem is file info tips when the mouse is over the thumbnail, right? I think I can just remove this, it's not really expected. The tip should come only when over caption or icon. Okay?

PS: The above just applies to the tips coming by "Configuration | Information | File Info Tips & Hover Box | Show tips for clipped tree and list items". Not sure which tips you mean. Do you have a screenshot of the situation you don't want to have (incl. mouse pointer)?

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

What I was looking for is:
- File Info tips on filename and Hoverbox on icon in list and detail view (without shift key held)
- No File info Tips on filename and no Hover Box when in thumbnail view.

I don't have File Info Tips on a thumbnail itself only the filename. I'd prefer to only get File Info Tips in thumbnail views with the shift key held down, but not need the shift key held in detail or list views.
File Info Tips in a thumbnail view.png
File Info Tips in a thumbnail view.png (277.01 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
I say the above only because it can get a little irritating having FileInfo Tips popping up all the time on the filename in a thumbnail view when your main purpose is to view the images using MDBU.

Edit: I'd rather have you keep things the same if there's a chance you'd mess with the way someone else does business.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

OK, I see what you mean, but it seems to complicate things too much. I don't see a way to accomplish this without adding at least one other checkbox. Or do you?

You probably have to live with holding SHIFT also in the details views.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

admin wrote: 06 Oct 2021 16:29 OK, I see what you mean, but it seems to complicate things too much. I don't see a way to accomplish this without adding at least one other checkbox. Or do you?
You probably have to live with holding SHIFT also in the details views.
The only irritating thing about using shift key for File Info Tips when in detail or list view is that it applies to HoverBox as well. I don't mind having to use the shift key for File Info tips on the filename, but I like seeing the HoverBox on the file icon without needing the shift key held down.

Internally you distinguish hovering the filename vs hovering the file's icon. So it would require beyond that an option of not requiring the shift key held when over the icon. Of course this applies when "Show info tips only while the shift key is held down". So you would have:
[] Show info tips only while the shift key is held down
    [] But not over a file icon

Other than that, I can't think of any uncomplicated way of doing it at the moment.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Would it help if I added this one to the Hover Box section? So that it has its own setting like I did with "Show hover box only when hovering file icon" before.

[] Show hover box only while the shift key is held down

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

admin wrote: 06 Oct 2021 17:51 [] Show hover box only while the shift key is held down
So if that was done and your new setting was unchecked and if the user has the existing setting "Show info tips only while the shift key is held down" checked in the File Info Tips section,
the result in a detail or list view should be: File Info Tips shown when the shift key is held down on the filename and the HoverBox displayed on an icon without the shift key.

It appears that could work as long as you maintain the current "context" setting for HoverBox for hoverbox not to be displayed in thumbnail view.

In a thumbnail view that should result in getting no hover box on thumbnail and File Info Tips only when holding the shift key down.

I'm not sure if I wrapped my head around that correctly. :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, my head produces the same. Let's try it.