Default folder for self-extracting EXE?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
tim11g

Default folder for self-extracting EXE?

Post by tim11g »

I have equipment that does firmware update with a USB drive. The instructions are to copy a self-extracting EXE to the USB drive, and run the EXE to extract the OS image files on a Windows or Linux computer, then insert the drive into the instrument and boot it with certain keys pressed.

I opened my USB drive in XY and copied the EXE. I double clicked the EXE in XY, and saw a CMD window briefly appear, but the extracted files did not appear on the drive.

I started a CMD window, CD'd to the USB drive, ran the EXE, and the files were extracted to the drive as expected.

Curious as to where the files went the first time, I did a full search of my C: drive. I found the extracted files in "C:\Users\<me>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\XYplorer"

I looked in XY configuration under File Operations and Shell Integration, but didn't see anything about XY handling of the current directory for this case. Is there a way to make the default behavior for EXE's to run in the "current directory" they are actually located in rather than creating a "VirtualStore"?
XYplorer 24.90 on Windows 10