links folder showing c drive folders

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
davehul123

links folder showing c drive folders

Post by davehul123 »

Have used XYplorer for 5 years and love it.

I upgraded to the latest version, 22.10 over a month ago and have had strange behavior ever since. The LINKS folder no longer works like it used to. The Links folder is supposed to show "all and only links". However mine now also shows all the c drive root directory (non-hidden) files and folders: Windows, Users, SW Setup, Program files (x86) profram files, Intel, Inetpub, DVDtemp.

Attached is a screen shot . Also notice that in the tree, the links folder shows a blank with no name. There is no right click context menu to rename. Somethings not right. Help?

Also I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and the problem still exists. I would like to reinstall the previous version but can't find a way to do that.
Attachments
screen shot of xyploer.png
screen shot of xyploer.png (94.94 KiB) Viewed 1424 times

highend

Re: links folder showing c drive folders

Post by highend »

The Links folder is supposed to show "all and only links"
It shows whatever in the belonging folder is, regardless if its a link or not

You have a folder: %USERPROFILE%\Links?

Does it have a desktop.ini file in it?

Show it's content

The freezer for older versions is here: https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

davehul123

Post by davehul123 »

o highend: to clarify, under the xyp tree all I see are the links but it's the list (right side of screen) that shows everything in my c drive root directory. This wasn't the case in 5 years I've been using xyp. the list would also only show links.

I dug deeper. There is no "links" folder in my user directory at all! This on my desktop system. I also use xyp on my laptop. The laptop works as I would expect (and has a "links" folder). So I deleted everything from the desktop system then copied the "user/apps/xyplorer" directory, the "links" directory, and the xyplorer directory in C:'programs(x86). The problem still exists. I even installed an earlier version of xyp and it still exists. There are many other inconsitencies as well.

This has me totally stumped. It's as if some Windows setting is prohibiting xyp from using the links directory. Note that The desktop (problem) is using Win 10 Pro, the laptop has Win 10 home (no problem). both have all updates installed. Any help is appreciated.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

I don't think you answered highend's specific questions, but what is displayed in the list pane when you type goto "%USERPROFILE%\Links"; in the address bar? Is it the same as what you show in you first post for what should be the "Links" folder?

If an actual Links folder does not exist or it's not in the proper location, try making a "Links" folder under your User\your name folder (e.g., "C:\Users\Joe\Links"). Once in that User\name folder or after making it try deleting some of the contents and place in you own new links.

I have to assume you have "Show Links folder" checked in XY Configuration > General > Tree and List.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

davehul123

Post by davehul123 »

Thanks for helping, but I did answer the question, I have no links folder in my user directory. if I put it into the XYP address bar the message is "Could not find: C:\Users\Dave\Links. I created a links folder and but no matter what I put in it, XYP doesn't see it. and yes, the "show links folder" is checked.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Sorry, I should have looked closer at your last reply. Just curious, does the folder / file structure look basically the same as your screen when you view from a fresh instance of XYplorer (e.g., fresh; in address bar) and also from Windows Explorer? I looked through the XYplorer.ini and see nothing concerning the Links folder pointer other than the options as to whether you elect to show it or not or show it expanded. So XY must be internally looking for a standard Windows environmental variable. Don uses "%USERPROFILE%\Links" for XY's links, but that actually was the old Windows location to store "Favorites". These days of Windows 10 they are stored in Quick Access.

When Googling "userprofile links windows 10" this link was interesting in explaining how the Links folder was used to access Favorites in older versions of Windows and Quick Access in Windows 10.
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Fo ... =w7itproui

I also see links on re-establishing the Links folder in Windows 10 using Group Policy. I'm sure there are others which may help in fixing the broken Links folder.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... ae99ec66ea
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

davehul123

Post by davehul123 »

your question was " does the folder / file structure look basically the same as your screen when you view from a fresh instance of XYplorer (e.g., fresh; in address bar) and also from Windows Explorer" The answer is yes. I still have no explanation and I've completely run out of things to try. It's occuring even on fresh installs of previous versions so it has to be some setting in windows but I don't have a clue how.

highend

Post by highend »

Can't see the problem...

Deleting the Links folder leads to the same situation as in your first screenshot.

Creating a folder with the same name brings back the correct title of it "Links" in XYplorer (after restarting it).
Animation1.gif
Animation1.gif (2.55 MiB) Viewed 1274 times
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

jelmilafye

Post by jelmilafye »

It seems that since Windows 11 22H2 1st Moment Update no longer creates the Links folder by default, the solution is to create it manually.