How to search PDF contents

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
calsi

How to search PDF contents

Post by calsi »

I am trialing this tool. I have the need to search the contents of PDF files. I have Windows set up to index the specific folders that contain the PDFs. I have searched online and these forums to determine how/if searching PDF contents is possible. I may not be phrasing my search correctly, who knows. The Contents tab works for text files but it's a no go for PDFs. What am I missing or is it not possible? Thanks.

jupe

Re: How to search PDF contents

Post by jupe »

You should just need to enable this:

Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | Use 64-bit IFilters for content search

@Don: Might I suggest making this enabled by default.

calsi

Post by calsi »

Wow, thanks for the uber quick response. I checked the option and now the correct files are in the search results.

Downside, XYP did not use the available Windows index, it scanned each file in the search set (one folder) which took 1:24 for 74 files in the search results. The same search across 15 folders with Windows returned 544 results pretty much instantaneously. Is there a way to point XYP at the Windows index?

jupe

Post by jupe »

No way to use index natively, narrow your search location/criteria to speed it up.

highend

Post by highend »

One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

calsi

Post by calsi »

@jupe

Again thanks for the quick reply. Refining the file list probably won't work for my use case. TMI, but I went paperless using Evernote so I have a PILE of PDFs. They have created a $hit$torm with their V10 release, for me anyway, so I am moving the PDFs to folders using Explorer and Windows indexing for access. It is lightening fast and does not require I know a file name or folder for that matter, just the root. It is fast but feature poor otherwise based on Explorer, hence my looking here.

Thanks again.

calsi

Post by calsi »

@highend,

Thanks for the thoughts. I want to keep things as simple as I can so not sure I want to get into scripting. Will keep this under advisement though as I pursue other options. Thanks again.

highend

Post by highend »

Apart from Everything and / or scripting there is no native solution in XYplorer to access the Windows index
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

calsi

Post by calsi »

Got it thanks.