FVS for Branch View?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
JLoftus

FVS for Branch View?

Post by JLoftus »

I have a very large folder, with >10,000 subfolders, with over 220,000 files in the branch.

I have a branch view of this folder, and tweaked its list view as I like, adding in columns, etc.

However it does not appear I can save this view, the FVS options are greyed out when this tab is selected.

It seems saving this column as a layout works for this, but, that means I have to reload the layout manually each time I would branch this folder, and since it's so large (and resides on a network share), it takes nearly a minute to load initially. Then, when I load the saved Column Layout, it rescans the branch, taking another minute or so. What I found with some experimenting, is that I can open the branch view, press escape to stop the scanning, then load the custom layout, which will cause a rescan. This works, but it's cumbersome.

Also, in this particular branch view, I wish to see only files, so after it's loaded, I click View, Show Items, and uncheck "Show Folders". This causes yet another scan.

Is it possible to save this branch view configuration using Folder View Settings, such that if I close it, and reopen a new branch view from this folder, the column settings are preserved (and the "don't show folders)?

Thanks

highend

Re: FVS for Branch View?

Post by highend »

Script it?

1. Execute this only once after you've set up the column layout for that branch view
columnlayout("<xydata>\Columns\special.txt", "save");

2. Execute this...

Code: Select all

$path = "your network path";

tab("new", $path . "|xxxxx");
    columnlayout("<xydata>\Columns\special.txt", "load");
    goto $path . "? /flatfiles";
    filter;
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

This works, thanks. I think I need to go back to the drawing board though on my original intent for this view, because in order to really be useful, I need to pull a tag from each file, and over the LAN, with 200K files, it's ridiculously slow, now that I added that column, it now takes upwards of 15 minutes to build the view. Useful as heck once done, but if it ever needs to rescan, time for another :cup:

I'd love to move this to my local machine, but right now that folder is >12 TB. If I got a couple 8TB SSDs in RAID 0, that'd be incredible speeds, and I could nightly mirror it to my Synology, but that'd be over $2,000 and the CFO won't approve

highend

Post by highend »

Switch your custom column trigger to "list"?

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Sorry, I don't understand? Is this within the script or setting elsewhere?

highend

Post by highend »

You don't use the tags column, but a custom column. For which you can select the trigger so that only the current visible items are returned (with their tag)...
1.png
1.png (8.01 KiB) Viewed 960 times

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Oh, I see, yes, I had used a custom column. I'll look at this when it stops loading again :(
I removed the column, and it still took >15 minutes to scan, so I commented out the layout load from the script and it's still taking forever, I'm really not sure why.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

OK, I see now two new aspects of things...

First, I didn't realize "View|Show Items|Show Folders in List" applied to all tabs, I expected that to be the current tab only. So now that's a new "thing" that I wish for, to be only applied to the current view.

Second, with "Show Folders in List" unchecked, the scan takes forever, when I reenable that option, the scan once again in just under a minute (~55 seconds).

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

OK! Now I see where I was unclear. By "Tags", I unfortunately was not referring to XY's tags, rather, ID3 tags applied to FLAC files. Sorry for the confusion. That only became clear to me once I began trying to get your last notion to work, and I just happened to also have the Tags column shown, but poor verbiage, I don't mean XY tags, rather audio tags.

This led me to using the Special Property "Tag Title" (in this case I wanted the "Title" ID3 tag), and now I'm back to taking more than 15 minutes to load the folder view

highend

Post by highend »

Tag your files (title = ex1, album = ex2, etc.) once and afterwards read the tags from these extra columns instead of the files^^

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Well that's an idea, yes, thanks, I may go for that as a workaround.

highend

Post by highend »

since learned that program also cannot show extended tags in its list view
Also? You are free to use an external program for the initial tag reading (maybe via mediainfo or exiftools) and storing all of these extra tags in XY and ofc they can be read afterwards (only in XY). At least if you don't use more than 16 properties or live with a minor speed decrease when storing all of them in one tag

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Right. I'll keep with my current method of setting the extended tag, and I'll also implement a way to copy that tag (once) to an Extra column. Trying to figure that out now. Thanks again for the idea.

JLoftus

Post by JLoftus »

Filtering the branch view just on FLAC files, and after I wrote a script to loop through 11,000 folders and copy all the Extra Tag "Title" values to a new Extra Column "Title", now loads ~175,000 matching records in the branch view in under a minute:

$path = "S:\Audio\FLAC";
tab("new", $path . "|*.flac");
columnlayout("<xydata>\Columns\FlacBranchView.txt", "load");
goto $path . "? /flatfiles";

Thanks @Highend for your help and suggestion, this is quite acceptable, and, someday when I can afford to move the collection from RAID to local storage, it will be much faster.