Quick Search is doing Single File Search

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
crawfish

Quick Search is doing Single File Search

Post by crawfish »

Just upgraded to v22, and I'm finding that Quick Search (F3) is performing a Single File Search. How to fix this?

highend

Re: Quick Search is doing Single File Search

Post by highend »

Can't replicate this.

Search term is?
And existing items in that current folder that would match this terms are?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

crawfish

Post by crawfish »

Search term is Q:\*. It returns the top-level directories and files, but it doesn't recurse. To be clear, I press F3, and the labeled "Quick Search" dialog box appears. After performing the search, the results window is labeled "Single File Search: Q:\*", and the status message is, "single file search done in 7.7 ms".

highend

Post by highend »

Read the section "Single File Search" under Main Topics - Quick Search
List all items in E:\ (non-recursive; kind of treeless browsing):

E:\*

Tip: Remember that Single File Search does not recurse subfolders. This is also true with wildcards in the pattern.

crawfish

Post by crawfish »

So, by entering a path into Quick Search, I got a Single File Search?

To get the search I was after, i.e. a recursive listing of all the files in Q:\, I need to (say) select the drive in the tree and use * for the Quick Search?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

crawfish wrote: 05 Jul 2021 23:52 To get the search I was after, i.e. a recursive listing of all the files in Q:\, I need to (say) select the drive in the tree and use * for the Quick Search?
Yes. Or instead of * for the Quick Search you activate a Branch View (View | Views | Branch View).

I wonder how many newbies enter a path into Quick Search, and if I should do something about this... :eh:

crawfish

Post by crawfish »

Branch View is interesting, but I want to exclude the folders and just get a flat listing of files. My next step is then to load a column set consisting of columns for MD5 and fully qualified paths, and having folders in this list means I have to sort by path so I can easily delete the folders after I copy the results into my text editor.

About Quick Search, it really was a stumbling block for me that using a path silently turned it into Simple Search, and it's arguably not "quick" when you're not already viewing the root of where you want to start the search. I get it now, but there is a learning curve to it.

BTW, I see in the release notes that "Now you can load predefined and custom column layouts with just one click." How? I still seem to have to right-click the column headings, select "Load Column Layout" from the context menu, and choose my layout from the file selector. There are three clicks. (Read in Picard's voice. :))

highend

Post by highend »

Put the branch view icon in the toolbar and right click it, select "Files only"
or hardcoded as a config entry:
Configuration | Find and Filter | Find Files & Branch View | Branch View | Default branch view type

Regarding loading predefined column layouts: There is a toolbar button for it...

crawfish

Post by crawfish »

Regarding loading predefined column layouts: There is a toolbar button for it...
So there is. It would be cool if the menu item names were editable. I've replaced the "Extended Column Layout" with my hashes layout and would like to rename it "Hashes". This is definitely useful to me either way though.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

crawfish wrote: 07 Jul 2021 09:03
So there is. It would be cool if the menu item names were editable. I've replaced the "Extended Column Layout" with my hashes layout and would like to rename it "Hashes". This is definitely useful to me either way though.
You can save and load any number of user-defined column layouts using View | Columns | Load Column Layout... and View | Columns | Save Column Layout As... (also present in that toolbar button's menu). And there is SC columnlayout (SC = Scripting Command) which you can use e.g. to create a Catalog Item or a Custom Toolbar Button to load your Hash layout by a single click.

crawfish

Post by crawfish »

Regarding the "Column Layouts" button, it seems that the Search Results window always adds a "Path" column at the far left, which I don't want, because I've got a "Full Path" column at the far right. To be clear, my column set is MD5 and Full Path, which is all I want. I can remove "Path", but it always comes back, even though I've used "Update" to lock in my change.

OTOH, the custom toolbar button and scripting command does exactly what I want. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That "Path" column is automatically added because it makes sense for most users I guess. I don't see a way to programmatically decide whether it's needed or not, like in your case. The solution for you is to create your own column layouts and load them via the columnlayout() scripting command, using e.g. a custom toolbar button or the catalog.