Question about tabs and windows

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
rgw825

Question about tabs and windows

Post by rgw825 »

I'm new to this program and a little unfamiliar to how everything works. Is there a way to open a folder in a new tab by just double clicking on it? I see i can do it by holding shift or right clicking on it. But it would be nice to do it by just double clicking.

Also is there a way to open a folder within a folder in a new window? I did find a setting "from googling" that lets me open a different folder in a new window but only from folders on my desktop/Start Menu, but it doesn't seem to work when i click on a folder within a folder. It just opens in the same window instead. I guess it's just a force of habit since the Windows 95 days to open folders in a new window. It's a habit i have never been able to break. Maybe i'll eventually get used to the tabs. Maybe :lol:

RalphM

Re: Question about tabs and windows

Post by RalphM »

Welcome to the forum!

AFAIK you can't change the standard behavior of dbl-click on a folder (yet). There are CEA's (custom event actions) you can set for various things in the config but just a regular dbl-click on a folder is not one of them. I would suggest you get used to the shift to open in new tab. You can also lock tabs completely or lock a home zone for a tab, so if you try to change the location of this tab to some other folder (by whatever means) it would open a new tab anyway.
Read up on the various options above and maybe on tabsets as well to find your ideal workflow with XY.

As for using different windows, while possible it is not recommended as separate windows will have separate instances of settings, so whatever setting you change will only survive if the instance you close last is the one with the change (if you save settings on exit).
If you want to run different configurations in separate windows, they would rather rely on different ini and data files in separate installation folders for each configuration.

HTH
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

rgw825

Post by rgw825 »

Thanks for the info. I switched to this program because windows explorer is a pain sometimes. My main folder where i download everything can take way way way too long to load and sometimes just sticks. I have so many files in it that even this program can freeze once a while. I would be smart to put more stuff in folders. Could be the large thumbnails too maybe.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Is there a way to open a folder in a new tab by just double clicking on it? I see i can do it by holding shift or right clicking on it
In Settings > General > Custom Event Actions > Clicking on Items you can open a new tab (background or foreground) by middle-clicking on it, which is the next best thing I guess. Not sure why double-click isn't an option there, but you can post a feature request for it.
Also is there a way to open a folder within a folder in a new window?
XYplorer is designed as a single window application with tabs as the means by which you concurrently view different folders. And I think that is definitely the preferred way to go. If you want to view folders simultaneously, you can always switch to dual pane mode. You can open multiple instances of XYplorer via different profiles or by cloning, but that is not really appropriate for what you want to do. (Cloning is an excellent feature, for example, when you need to run a long-running search while still doing something else. And running xyplorer /fresh is good for reproducing a bug or issue when reporting it here.)
My main folder where i download everything can take way way way too long to load and sometimes just sticks. I have so many files in it that even this program can freeze once a while. I would be smart to put more stuff in folders. Could be the large thumbnails too maybe.
Definitely the thumbnails. I have folders with tens of thousands of items and there is no delay but that's because I only use the details view.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

rgw825

Post by rgw825 »

Jerry wrote: 08 Jun 2021 14:58
In Settings > General > Custom Event Actions > Clicking on Items you can open a new tab (background or foreground) by middle-clicking on it, which is the next best thing I guess. Not sure why double-click isn't an option there, but you can post a feature request for it.[/quote]

Ah i figured it out. The middle click option was already checked (probably by default) and it still wasn't working. Then i remembered i changed my mouse settings so the scroll wheel was enter. I changed it back to middle click and it worked. Good thing i thought of that or i would of wracking my brain forever. :biggrin: