Can't make xyplorer the default file explorer

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Gary

Can't make xyplorer the default file explorer

Post by Gary »

I've followed directions using my administrator account on win 10 pro 64bit. Tried unchecking, rebooting, then re-checking and rebooting, but nothing works - all programs still use win file explorer as the default. Is there a registry hack I can use?

Horst

Re: Can't make xyplorer the default file explorer

Post by Horst »

Gary wrote: 02 Jun 2021 19:56 I've followed directions using my administrator account on win 10 pro 64bit. Tried unchecking, rebooting, then re-checking and rebooting, but nothing works - all programs still use win file explorer as the default. Is there a registry hack I can use?
1. You should make the XY setting with your normal account
which is hopefully not the Administrator account.

2. What progroms did you try ?
Not all programs use the Windows API to open folders, some have hardcoded Explorer calls
which can't be redirected.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

Gary

Post by Gary »

if I log into Windows with a nonadministrator account, then xyplorer gives me an error message when I try to check the boxes stating I need to be an administrator.

No programs use xyplorer after I check the boxes and restart. I even tried an uninstall and re-install. Edge, Chrome, Acrobat, all the office programs ignore xyplorer and just use win file explorer.

Even XYplorer uses file explorer when I click on File -> Settings Special ->Save Configuration as....!!!

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Hi Gary

I assume you are mixing up File Explorer with the open/save dialogues in Win (you are not the first nor the last one to do so).
The two look very similar but are completely different things and AFAIK there is no way to replace the dialogues with XY.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Horst

Post by Horst »

Gary wrote: 03 Jun 2021 03:04 if I log into Windows with a nonadministrator account, then xyplorer gives me an error message when I try to check the boxes stating I need to be an administrator.

No programs use xyplorer after I check the boxes and restart. I even tried an uninstall and re-install. Edge, Chrome, Acrobat, all the office programs ignore xyplorer and just use win file explorer.

Even XYplorer uses file explorer when I click on File -> Settings Special ->Save Configuration as....!!!
Your account needs to be in the Administrators group.
To have XY while in open/save dialogs you can use a tool like QuickSwitch.
It allows to change the dirs in such dialogs to the current folders in XY and even follows if you change them.
It supports many sorts of standard open/save dialogs and works fine for me in XY.
https://github.com/gepruts/QuickSwitch
If you don't have Autohotkey I can provide a compiled x64 version if you want.

Gary

Post by Gary »

RalphM wrote: 03 Jun 2021 05:54 Hi Gary

I assume you are mixing up File Explorer with the open/save dialogues in Win (you are not the first nor the last one to do so).
The two look very similar but are completely different things and AFAIK there is no way to replace the dialogues with XY.
Now I'm confused - if XYplorer doesn't replace file explorer for open/save dialogs (including the save dialog in xyplorer itself) then what is the purpose of checking the box for "XYplorer is default file manager"? 99% of my file management activities occurs through open/save/attach files. I can just click on the xyplorer icon to open it by itself.

Gary

Post by Gary »

Horst wrote: 03 Jun 2021 10:43
Gary wrote: 03 Jun 2021 03:04 if I log into Windows with a nonadministrator account, then xyplorer gives me an error message when I try to check the boxes stating I need to be an administrator.

Your account needs to be in the Administrators group.
To have XY while in open/save dialogs you can use a tool like QuickSwitch.
It allows to change the dirs in such dialogs to the current folders in XY and even follows if you change them.
It supports many sorts of standard open/save dialogs and works fine for me in XY.
https://github.com/gepruts/QuickSwitch
If you don't have Autohotkey I can provide a compiled x64 version if you want.
Thank you for the help. The "get more information" link at the github site states I need to download and extract QuickSwitch runtime.zip and QuickSwitch <date>.zip. Where do I get those files?

highend

Post by highend »

If you don't want to compile it yourself, you get the runtime + belonging .ahk script here: https://www.voidtools.com/forum/viewtop ... f=2&t=9881

It's a simple .exe + .ahk after extracting the archives...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Gary

Post by Gary »

Thanks again. I downloaded the quickswitch files, unzipped, and ran quickswitch.exe. Now when I try to save a file I get popup that shows two file locations with the XY icon next to them. But selecting either one opens a windows file explorer window. so I'm right back to where UI was without XYplorer and Quickswitch.

Horst

Post by Horst »

Gary wrote: 03 Jun 2021 12:44 Thanks again. I downloaded the quickswitch files, unzipped, and ran quickswitch.exe. Now when I try to save a file I get popup that shows two file locations with the XY icon next to them. But selecting either one opens a windows file explorer window. so I'm right back to where UI was without XYplorer and Quickswitch.
Clicking on one of this should change the dialog to the selected entry.
Also changing the dir in XY the dialog should follow.

highend

Post by highend »

Again: You won't see XYs interface/GUI in such an open/save dialog.

Default file manager means: Clicking on folders (e.g. on the desktop) open XY instead of Windows Explorer.

I for myself e.g. use https://www.quickaccesspopup.com

It allows users to invoke XY with a script that e.g. opens the list of favorite (folders) and switching back directly into the open / save catalog.

A so called globalized access to XY's favorites...
Animation.gif
Animation.gif (325.18 KiB) Viewed 1709 times

Gary

Post by Gary »

Quickswitch pops up a window that lets me select an xyplorer directory then opens it in file explorer. Its usefulness is lost on me - the open/save dialog of a program takes me directly to file explorer - no need to use quickswitch to get there by first listing directories in xy.

Horst

Post by Horst »

Gary wrote: 03 Jun 2021 13:02 Quickswitch pops up a window that lets me select an xyplorer directory then opens it in file explorer. Its usefulness is lost on me - the open/save dialog of a program takes me directly to file explorer - no need to use quickswitch to get there by first listing directories in xy.
You misunderstand the function of QuickSwitch.
It allows you to select the folders where to open or save files using pure XYplorer without the need to search in Windows explorer.
There is no other file manager involved if you just use it as intented.
If this doesn't fit in your behaviour you have to stay with Windows default tools.

highend

Post by highend »

Moving this to Questions & Answers...

Horst

Post by Horst »

highend wrote: 03 Jun 2021 12:57 Again: You won't see XYs interface/GUI in such an open/save dialog.

Default file manager means: Clicking on folders (e.g. on the desktop) open XY instead of Windows Explorer.

I for myself e.g. use https://www.quickaccesspopup.com

It allows users to invoke XY with a script that e.g. opens the list of favorite (folders) and switching back directly into the open / save catalog.

A so called globalized access to XY's favorites...
I also use QAP for all my favorites but with Total Commander integration.
For the Open/Save dialogs QuickSwitch has the benefit of showing both panes in TC or XY.