Folder thumbnail with subfolder images

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
StarPotato

Folder thumbnail with subfolder images

Post by StarPotato »

Hello everyone,

Can you set a folder thumbnail (automated or not) with an image contained in a subfolder ?
The root folder contain only folders and subfolders are only containing images.

Thank you

klownboy

Re: Folder thumbnail with subfolder images

Post by klownboy »

Yes you can. Make sure you tick Configuration | Preview | Thumbnails | Show folder thumbnails so that images are displayed as thumbnails.

Also, take a look at these threads...

You may be interested in setting up a nice display of your folders in a zoom-to-fill mode as shown in this thread viewtopic.php?p=135520#p135520
Another thread you may be interested in is Gallery mode viewtopic.php?p=133987#p133987

But of course you don't need to set up the folders in zoom-to-fill view, but it is a nice feature. Essentially the thumbnail used for the folder is an image from the various subfolders and is named "folder.jpg". So there ends up being a "folder.jpg" file in each subfolder.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

StarPotato

Post by StarPotato »

Thank you for the informations. Unfortunately the root folder has no thumbnail after ticking Show folder thumbnails.

Maybe I was a little unclear of what my objective is.

Here the structure :
RootFolder
S:.
└───RootFolder
├───SubFolder1
│ image 1.jpg

└───SubFolder2
image 2.png

Thumbnail for SubFolder1 and Subfolder2 are correctly displaying their respecting first image.
The folder RootFolder is just blank.
I tried renaming image1.jpg to folder.jpg but that affect only Subfolder1

I would like to have the RootFolder thumbnail to be image1.jpg or image2.png

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

You are saying root directory. Is it actually the "root" or the main folder like "G:\Photos" with many subfolders under it? I ask because to see the main folder (e.g. G:\Photos) as a thumbnail you obviously have to be viewing the folder above it. For the method you are using (i.e., displaying the first image in a folder), you'll have to have a image in the actual folder, RootFolder or have an image renamed to folder.jpg in that folder.

As an example of that:
- Just to be clear we are talking about the same situation or not. If I'm currently in folder called G:\Photos, I'll see all the thumbnails associated with the subfolders under G:\Photos, like G:\Photos\Family, G:\Photos\Home, G:\Photos\Loacal Area. You don't see G:\Photos because you are in G:\Photos so you'll only see it's subfolders. To see the thumbnail associated with G:\Photos itself, I have to be in "G:\". Of course you can do that by having an image in G:\Photos or a image called folder.jpg.

Another method is using the desktop.ini file in the folder checkout this thread. viewtopic.php?p=158157#p158157.

There are many additional threads on this topic. Do a search for destop.ini or thumbnail+folder.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440