XY runs slow

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
rlkufrin

XY runs slow

Post by rlkufrin »

I operate with a Synology NAS that has lots of files. In particular I have 130,000 photos. When I attempt to sort or find a photo or search a particular folder XY hangs up for 5-10 seconds. My guess it is some combination of switches. I have used XY for over 10 years and it is now so slow I have to use Windows Explorer.

nas8e9

Re: XY runs slow

Post by nas8e9 »

Does running a fresh configuration make a difference?

Howitzer99

Post by Howitzer99 »

I've been having issues with very slow NAS access as well, and stumbled-upon this post.

I followed the instructions to run a fresh version of XYplorer to test my NAS access, and it actually worked to make NAS drive access as instant as using the default Windows Explorer.

On my base XYplorer install, accessing a mapped NAS directory will take between 5-10 seconds to read, based on the number of files in it. Even a directory listing of 20 files may take up to 10 to read. This is without thumbnail or directory sizing enabled.

The problem now is, how do I debug what settings I have in my base XYplorer config vs the "fresh" version are causing the extremely slow directory access?

I've had XYplorer for around 5 years, so I don't want to throw out all of my settings that I've been tweaking over the years.

highend

Post by highend »

There is no direct way to compare settings (without doing it visually by opening all items in the configuration window)...

My first approach would be:

Hold CTRL while clicking on Menu - Help - Various Information

That will bring up a window with settings affecting speed

Copy the information, put it into a text file, do it with both instances (fresh and your configured one)

and use a tool to visually show the differences, e.g. https://winmerge.org

E.g. "Check Existence of Subfolders in Tree: Yes" can be a factor if "Configuration | General | Tree and List | Tree | In network locations as well" is checked as well

Look closely at all items under 5. (regarding network settings)...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Howitzer99

Post by Howitzer99 »

Thanks for the quick reply, and some direction on how to start debugging between the two instances of XYplorer!

Howitzer99

Post by Howitzer99 »

Just wanted to mention that whatever changes were made in the 22.00 version today, they completely solved the network folder access I asked about! Folder access is now as zippy and I'm experiencing from Windows Explorer.

Maybe it had something to do with the auto-column width functionality that was addressed in this release?

I never did find the differences between the "fresh" version and my current settings, even the (secret?) help menu setting hints did not help.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Glad to hear that. :D Are you talking about the current beta version v22.00.0030?

Howitzer99

Post by Howitzer99 »

No, the public 22.00 released version, not the beta.