Icon help

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Knighthammer

Icon help

Post by Knighthammer »

I seem to recall having this problem before, though I'm on a new install on a "new-ish" (rebuilt computer with new mobo) and am having the issue "again" (sorry for repeating this topic if it has been, I couldn't find an appreciate topic in search that wouldn't have been massively necroed from versions long gone)

I can't seem to get XYPlorer to cache icons nor show icons on iconized tabs.
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG (122.12 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
Neither icons, nor iconized tabs are showing icons.

For sanity check, here's my formatting on iconized tabs:
Programs|D:\Users\Common\Icons\System Icons\Menu Icons\Icons.ico

I've tried using quotes (double and single):
Programs|"D:\Users\Common\Icons\System Icons\Menu Icons\Icons.ico"
&
Programs|'D:\Users\Common\Icons\System Icons\Menu Icons\Icons.ico'

I've truncating the path:
Programs|D:\Users\Common\Icons\XY\Programs.ico

I've tried using PNGs:
Programs|D:\Users\Common\PNGs\System Icons\Menu Icons\Icons.png

And I've tried using PNGs with single and double quotes.

I'm down to believing its an icon caching issue.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

nas8e9

Re: Icon help

Post by nas8e9 »

Hi and welcome,

Can you try with a fresh profile?

Knighthammer

Post by Knighthammer »

Just tried. No luck =(

For what its worth, IIRC, last time I had this issue, the fix required running a .reg file to refresh something having to do with previews.
Last edited by Knighthammer on 05 May 2021 22:04, edited 1 time in total.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Knighthammer wrote: 05 May 2021 22:03 For what its worth, IIRC, last time I had this issue, the fix required running a .reg file to refresh something having to do with previews.
If it is a problem with the Windows cache, a quick Google search suggests running Disk Cleanup (a built-in Windows tool, at least in Windows 10), selecting thumbnails and letting it do its thing, followed by a reboot.

Knighthammer

Post by Knighthammer »

Hmmm

So I was, in fact, having a problem with icons showing up in explorer, but with all the troubleshooting I've done, I got THAT fixed, but I can still not see these icons in Xyplorer.

The icon that always shows up is the icon of the application designated for opening icons from Windows Explorer.

Here's my options for icons, see if anything stands out as incorrect:
Capture4.PNG
Capture4.PNG (19.48 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
Last edited by Knighthammer on 06 May 2021 05:55, edited 2 times in total.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Nothing stands out to me, sorry.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just to make sure: We are talking about showing a custom icon in the tab header?

Knighthammer

Post by Knighthammer »

Just so we're not mixing terminology, here's a pic:
Capture5.PNG
Capture5.PNG (6.26 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
In my terminology, I'm trying to change the Icon and Tab Name.

I tend to keep several tabsets with default iconized tabs.

I'm trying to be specific, because to be, "tab header" does feel like the right term, but if what I described is your nomenclature, so be it.

I hope the picture properly showcases what I'm trying to do / asking help with.

---

I've tried to go through Windows and clean out the Icon Cache in several different ways. XYplorer seems to now have "scatterbrained" ways how its presenting icons to me.

- In detailed view, icons do not show up.
- In list view, icons do not show up.
- In Icon view (small or large), icons do not show up.
- In Tile Views, SOME icons now show up.
- In Thumbnail views SOME icons show up.

I feel like these issues are all symptoms of the same problem; there seems to be a problem with Icons somewhere. It seems like XYplorer is sometimes giving me "default icons" as if I ticked the "use generic icons for super-fast browsing" (this setting is NOT enabled).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Strange.

1) Your first syntax should work (and does so here):
Programs|D:\Users\Common\Icons\System Icons\Menu Icons\Icons.ico

2) XY should display all icons in every view (and does so here).

Can't explain it. Did you already try to restart Windows?

Knighthammer

Post by Knighthammer »

Yep, I've done several restarts between db clearings, registry changes, explorer changes, etc.

I did a sanity check and tried over on my server and there's zero issues over there.

I'm not so deep in that a format would "kill me", so I'm highly considering reformating (again). I have one or two other weird quirks that's turning out to waste more time then expected, so this might be my best option at this point. I'll plan to hit this thread up if/when I do that and give a status update.

Knighthammer

Post by Knighthammer »

Things like this always make me frown upon the industry.

- First install of Windows 10 from my USB ISO on a build from way back in 2016 (I think it said?) had weird issues. Ended up reformating not soon after because there were too many oddities I wasn't going to fight with. This one came direct from Microsoft some time around Windows 10's original release.

- Second install of Windows 10 I downloaded direct from Microsoft Downloads I got this week. That one still had about 24 hours worth of updates it needed to do and that's the one I came here with the problems I had with XYPlorer. I was also having extremely weird network issues on top of that, ultimately why I decided this was becoming such a time sink, it probably wasn't worth the effort to track down the various bugs.

- The THIRD install came from a torrent based on the MSDN Github release that a community member compiled and posted (yes, it actually surprised me that Microsoft is at that point of openness with their code now). This release was current up through 4/28/2021 (First time I installed Windows in a LOOOONG time where I needed zero updates).

I'm still kind of "smoke testing" to make sure all the functions that have been driving me mad on the previous two installs are gone, but the bug/issue I was having with XYplorer along with the weird network issues are both resolved with this install.

I always make me facepalm when you go with official releases to support the company and you end up having to go to community releases because the company you paid the license to did something weird with the official release.

/grumble.

All and all thanks for the help. Things are resolved. It probably wasn't an XYplorer issue after all. --- well, maybe it was, but if anything it was XYplorer having a problem with something Windows was probably doing wrong.