.msg preview not working

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
NCB22

.msg preview not working

Post by NCB22 »

Hello,

Sorry if this has been asked before but I haven't found a clear answer. I can't seem to see .msg files as previews in XYplorer.

.Eml files work ok.

If anyone know a quick way to fix this it would be great. I have the latest XYplorer version.

Thanks!

Horst

Re: .msg preview not working

Post by Horst »

I searched long for this some time ago and found no solution for XY.
Assigning .msg to the Windows EML previewer doesn't work.
I have an EML viewer in Total Commander which can also preview .msg format.
The are many postings in several forums and it looks like some Outlook installations bring an .msg preview.
But I found no solution for an Explorer based preview, so I see no chance in XYplorer.

I use Thunderbird which stores mails im EML format when the message store format is set to Maildir.
This way I have preview and content indexing available for all local stored mails.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

highend

Post by highend »

It's not that it is impossible, but... nearly :/)

I own an old copy of "Quick View Plus" (v13) which, when installed allows perfectly fine previews of .msg files in XYplorer...

The current version of it has an (expensive) subscription model so I didn't test it^^
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Horst

Post by Horst »

highend wrote: 21 Apr 2021 16:53 It's not that it is impossible, but... nearly :/)

I own an old copy of "Quick View Plus" (v13) which, when installed allows perfectly fine previews of .msg files in XYplorer...

The current version of it has an (expensive) subscription model so I didn't test it^^
There is a free solution "QuickLook" which displays .msg and a lot of other formats fine.
https://github.com/QL-Win/QuickLook/releases
The only problem with the default settings of QuickLook is that the space key is used to invoke it.
That doesn't work unfortunately as XY interprets the space key even when the cursor is on a file.
You can of course make a button or assign a hotkey like Ctrl-Space to invoke it for the current file.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69