Help with slow file moves

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
whiterainbow

Help with slow file moves

Post by whiterainbow »

Hi

I've been using the trial version for a few days now and I'm noticing that all file moves seem to be really slow. When I move a file between folders on my local hard drive it takes between 5 and 10 seconds to complete (until the window is available again). This seems unrelated to the file size, the delay is about the same with an 8kb file as with an 8mb file. I also have two external storage drives (both NTFS formatted). On one of the drives, performance is about the same as on the local hard drive, about 5 seconds to move a file of about 5mb, although strangely it seems like smaller image files can be moved a bit quicker. I can probably live with both of these although it's not great.

The other external drive is by far the worst in terms of performance, even opening the folder to see files can take over 2 minutes, during which time the entire program hangs and I can't do anything else. Deleting files is quick, but moving files also takes more than a couple of minutes, and then it takes even longer for the file list to refresh properly. Interestingly, if I try to exit the program while this is happening, I get a message that asks if I'm sure I want to quit while background jobs are running, but if I open the background jobs window it's empty.

All of these operations are instant when using Windows explorer. I've tried all the following, none of which seemed to make any difference. Please help!
  • disabled custom copy/move (I want it to be enabled ideally but I disabled just to test) - I first tested by enabling the custom move for cross volume moves only and testing on my local drive, but this did nothing either
    checked my drives - both are connected via USB3 and both have a good SMART status
    disabled auto refresh (again I would ideally like this enabled)
    added an exception to my antivirus (I use Avast antivirus, I added the xyplorer files as exceptions to the real time scanning as well as the other shield activities that it would let me)
    disabled my antivirus completely

danielk541

Re: Help with slow file moves

Post by danielk541 »

Same here and I've been using XY for over a year. Seems to have started after the last update.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just to make sure, these settings make no difference to the problem:
- Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Background Processing | Enable background processing
- Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Custom Copy Operations | Use Custom Copy

And:
- You excluded XYplorer.exe and XYcopy.exe from AV.
- Cross volume vs intra volume makes no difference.
- This is not a network issue (we are talking about local drives).

That makes it hard to debug. I don't see any such slowness here (and I guess that's true for other users as well).

Questions:
1. Which Windows version
2. Which XYplorer version

whiterainbow

Post by whiterainbow »

admin wrote: 24 Apr 2021 10:44 Just to make sure, these settings make no difference to the problem:
- Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Background Processing | Enable background processing
- Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Custom Copy Operations | Use Custom Copy

And:
Correct on all of the above. Are there any logs or anything I could check to see what might be causing this?

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

whiterainbow wrote: 02 May 2021 23:42
admin wrote: 24 Apr 2021 10:44 Just to make sure, these settings make no difference to the problem:

And:
Correct on all of the above. Are there any logs or anything I could check to see what might be causing this?
Just to be sure, could you mention your Windows and XYplorer versions?

Does running XYplorer with a fresh configuration make any difference?

whiterainbow

Post by whiterainbow »

Hi

yes the fresh configuration makes this run as expected. I think the issue might be related to opening the folders themselves rather than the copy/move process. With the 'fresh' configuration, loading a folder is very quick. Without it, loading folders seems much slower, especially if there are more than a few files. I did a test on a local external drive folder with about 1000 files, opening the folder took about 2 minutes. In windows explorer it's instant.

I have show folder sizes enabled as well as the size caching, I disabled both of these and restarted but it didn't seem to make any difference. I also tried removing the size column completely but this didn't speed things up either. So although a fresh configuration is quicker, I don't know what option or options are making it slow.

I have version 21.4 and windows 10

whiterainbow

Post by whiterainbow »

I just wanted to follow up here - first thank you for your assistance with this issue.

I was never able to figure out why XYPlorer was so slow with file moves/opening folders, but its the reason I didn't decide to purchase. My trial is expired so I'll be looking elsewhere for a file explorer solution.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, if the fresh configuration is quick then it's obviously any of your settings that's responsible for some extra work done. (Just in case you come back...)