Showing Rating

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Herve-China

Showing Rating

Post by Herve-China »

Dear all,

Concern showing of customized tags.

The context :
I have already define a list of preferred music which is composed of about 600 music, with FLAC and Mp3 files.
I'm using Foobar 2000 for playing, and I use Columns UI to customize columns .... like XYplorer.

Recently, I have decided to rate my preferred musics with tags.
In the mp3 file there is a tag named "Rating WMP" (WMP for Windows Media Player), this tag is displayed in Windows explorer for mp3, but not for flac due to the tag isn't present inside.

The reason :
I have so add the same named tag ("Rating WMP") into all my the FLAC file... And, result is I can see the rating in foobar 2000 for both (mp3 and FLAC).
But not in Windows explorer because it only able to show the ID3 v2.3 tags (not the Vorbis used in Flac).

This is the reason why I'm looking for XYplorer, i.e. showing the tag "Rating WMP" in a columns for both files mp3 and Flac.

My help request :
I'm looking for help me to display a columns in XYplorer to show the "Rating WMP" for both mp3 and Flac file.
I have tryied the "Special Property", but even if in the XYplorer documention, it's said we can add any tag to display (#tag.whateveryouwant (seen in the "Scripting Commands Reference"), I can't find where and how to define this tag for a columns.

So, can you help me to solve this problem ?

Thanks by advance

Hervé
(A little French in China)

nas8e9

Re: Showing Rating

Post by nas8e9 »

Hi and welcome,

What Windows version do you run? On my Windows 10 20H2 PC I do see a rating field when inspecting in Windows Explorer, the properties of a FLAC file? If also on your PC, in XYplorer you can access the Rating field when selecting a property for a custom column?

Herve-China

Post by Herve-China »

Thank you for answer dear nas8e9.

My OS is Windows 10 x64 LTSC 1809... There isn't any new release for LTSC right now, the next is planned by Microsoft for second half of 2021.
You right, there is a column "Rating" in the Property section, but it act exactly like windows explorer, means, it show the mp3 rating tag only, but not the Flac one !
Mp3 tags are ID3 vx.xx... but Flac tags are Vorbis type..

So, I'm expecting to get the Flac rating tag by using "Special Property" or "Script Columns". ... And to do this, I need some help, at least a sample of script to understand how it's work.

Best Regards

Herve

highend

Post by highend »

Upload a .flac and a .mp3 that contain these meta data...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Herve-China

Post by Herve-China »

Many thanks for help.

Here, I post more details (with screen capture) about the situation :

Here after is what the DBpoweramp ID Tag editor show, I have created the both tags "Rating" and "Rating WMP". (check these tags value for both files)

Here after is what the different explorer show (from top to bottom) .. Windows Explorer - XYplorer - Foobar 2000

And here after is the script inserted in foobar to see the "Rating WMP" with a kind of star (repeat the char (1421) for "rating WMP" value length)

At the end, my goal is to get what foobar show, but in the explorer

Thousand Thanks by advance for help and time spent for me.

Herve

NB : The attached files has been cutted for a 15s length, or they are too big for upload !
XY Explorer - Columns Test.rar
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 56 times

highend

Post by highend »

I'm currently not at home and have only limited testing possibilities...

I'm afraid you can't do that without an external tool in XY.

Get the CLI version of MediaInfo from https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/Windows

and use this script as a custom column script (you need to adapt the path!)

Code: Select all

$tool   = "D:\Tools\MediaInfo\MediaInfo.exe";
    $result = runret("""$tool"" ""<cc_item>""", , 65001);
    $rating = regexmatches($result, "^Rating WMP[ ]+: [0-9.]+$");
    if ($rating) { return regexmatches($rating, "[0-9.]+"); }
    else { return "Unrated"; }
This isn't fast, so you should maybe set the custom column's trigger to "List" instead of "Browse" and set the item filter only to file types that contain the "rating wmp"!

For a fast solution you would need to tag these files (with a script that reads the rating via mediainfo and stores them in the XY tag database...

Herve-China

Post by Herve-China »

Thank a lot for this solution.

I will test it tomorrow (It's already late in China)... And then, make here a return about how it's work.

Sincerely

Herve

Herve-China

Post by Herve-China »

Dear Hightend,

So, I have tested your solution, It's fine, but, with a long list of file (i.e. like 575 music files in my preferred), It's quite heavy and long.

But you have pushed me to investigate further more ... and I find like a beginning of solution...

Here after you can see, Im' now able to see my famous "Rating WMP" directly in the column without using mediainfo.
To do this I have define the column as script column, whith this content :

$rate=property("#Tag.Rating WMP",<cc_item>);
return $rate

But as you can see, it's working only for Flac files. But for the mp3, I can only see the rating in the standard "Property column" "Notation" (Rating in french).
So, from here, I was imagining to code something like : <If extension is flac then show "rating WMP", elseif extension is mp3 show "Notification">
... but after some hours searching, I didn't find how to get the "Notification" tag in a script ... no more any else tag directly adressed and provided by XYplorer.

I think the XYplorer documentation, even if it's huge size, but not enough clear or documented concerning the internals. I'm now really closed to forget my idea to see all the ratings in one column of any kind of explorer. It's a great pity

Best Regards

Herve

highend

Post by highend »

The problem is not to write a simple script that returns the "#tag.rating wmp" for .flac and the normal rating for .mp3...

Code: Select all

if (<cc_ext> LikeI "flac") {
    return property("#Tag.Rating WMP", <cc_item>);
} elseif (<cc_ext> LikeI "mp3") {
    return property("#19", <cc_item>);
}
The problem is, that all these values are wrong!

Look, the .flac you've attached has (read from dbPoweramp)
Rating: 4
Rating WMP: 5

while text property("#Tag.Rating WMP"); returns 2 for this file^^

The shell id for "Rating" is #19 (at least on my girlfriends system (Windows 7)
but again, text property("#19"); returns "1 Star" for the .mp3 file while it has this value (again, dbPoweramp)
Rating: 2

So again: A script that would read all rating and rating wmp tags via mediainfo from all your files (once) and then tag them in XY would be
a.) very fast
b.) accurate

The only "downside": You need to rerun this tagging script whenever you edit / add a rating of a file (e.g. in dbPoweramp)...

Herve-China

Post by Herve-China »

Dear Highend,

Many thanks for all your support.

I have always seen the value of "Rating" is shown as the half of the numerical real value... and rounded to up...
For example, if the rating numerical value is set to 5, in explorer, it shown to 3 stars ... i.e. 5/2 =2.5, rounded to up give 3
This isn't a special problem for me, I just have to consider this point...

Anyway, the script your gently provided to me using mediainfo open as number of mediainfo windows as the number of file... i.e. for a 575 files folder, I get 575 mediainfo session that I have to close manually one by one ... crazy !!

I thank you again for all information you provided to me, that help me a lot to understand how, at the end, XYplorer is working !
But, I have also seen managing tags with explorer (Windows as XYplorer ... and some others I tried) is quite difficult and/or ambiguous .!!

At the end, by searching further more, I discovered a little foobar2000 component (Quick Tagger) which work very fine...
After having installed it, I can directly set the rating value to a music file (It run for both flac and mp3) using keyboard shortcuts...
And the best is the tag in the file is also modified instantaneously (I have performed many test and check with DBpoweramp Tag editor) !

have a look to the final result : (the two "Bernard Lavilliers" music files are Flac, the two others are mp3)

So, that make me to definitely forget the any "explorer" solution.

Best Regards
Thanks again

Herve

highend

Post by highend »

Anyway, the script your gently provided to me using mediainfo open as number of mediainfo windows as the number of file... i.e. for a 575 files folder, I get 575 mediainfo session that I have to close manually one by one ... crazy !!
viewtopic.php?p=186708#p186708
Get the CLI version of MediaInfo from https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/Windows
You've downloaded and used the GUI version in the script, not the CLI one^^

Herve-China

Post by Herve-China »

Dear Highend,

ah ! OK, that right, I haven't make the difference, sorry. Mediainfo was already installed on my PC.
I will test again later with the CLI version.

Thanks

Herve