Visual Filter on Extra Column of date format

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
aubrey97

Visual Filter on Extra Column of date format

Post by aubrey97 »

I have Extra5 defined as type Date with Name Due

I figured out that dates entered as say 4/4/2021 display the same as those entered as 2021-04-04 but I have all mine entered in the format
2021-04-04

I would like, if possible to do a visual filter to exclude all dates beyond (or prior to and including) a particular day.

Have been struggling with various syntax none of which seems to work.
Something like due: 2021* does work as a simple text search but that is clearly not what I want
likewise ex5: something

Any help with syntax appreciated please. Some way of filtering everything out after today would also be good to avoid having to manually enter the date.

I tend to use quickfilters less often so that would be less desirable but I'd like to know how to do that as well if possible

highend

Re: Visual Filter on Extra Column of date format

Post by highend »

Not possible via a simple visual filter...

Would need scripting (report() + eval all operators -> result (+ inverting if used with ! (boolean not))
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

aubrey97

Post by aubrey97 »

Thank you - good to know the limits of possibility.

Seems to me it would be an incredibly useful thing to be able to do somehow, whether by Visual filter or otherwise - to easily filter (or quicksearch) a large selection of files/folders by some sort of assigned threshold or due date. A bit like the todo.txt philosophy but for files.

I think I am correct in thinking that whatever data format is assigned to information in the tag database/ex1... etc (Numeric, date, stars) quicksearch will only see it as a text field, so could not do a search by date as if it is a number (if entered as 20210322 for example)? And even for that it would only be a simple wildcard search, not regex (for example something like Downloads?ex5:202[2|1]-[04|03]-[31] /r doesn't seem to do anything useful.
So even for other stuff like stars you cannot quicksearch for stars > 3 only for stars exactly equal to 3 - without doing something like

Downloads?ex3:5;4;3

That seems quite a limitation on the easy usefulness of the tagged data

Anyway this would be beyond my capability without help, but perhaps it will spark some ideas in someone.

highend

Post by highend »

Ofc quicksearch supports regex but your regex wouldn't find anything useful (ranges vs. groups)
It requires a lot of typing anyway...
This one can filter by a simple yyyy-mm-dd date, with
01. = (can be left out)
02. >=, >, <=, <
03. And the logical not (!)

It doesn't support ranges and I'm not planning to add something like that...

aubrey97

Post by aubrey97 »

Wow that looks interesting thank you. It seems to work but not sure how.

Why does it put the text
"Windows benchmarking with scores from all machines"|"windows95-2.2.1-win32-standalone-x64"

into the live filter box. That text seems critical because if you clear it the filter is cleared.

highend

Post by highend »

Because it filters the list. If you don't like it, remove the +8 in line 61 and it reverts to a normal visual filter

aubrey97

Post by aubrey97 »

Love it. :D
Sent a small PayPal gift (within limits of my affordability anyway)

wenmin92

Post by wenmin92 »

Well, the script is powerfull, but not handy.
What if I want to filter a date, star, and other extra columns at the same time? Yes, we can write a script for every single extra column and execute each of them in turn, but if I want to change the filter, I have to resest and execute every filter script again which is a little cumbersome.
Moreover, in this way, we cannot take advantage of Power Visual Filter.

highend

Post by highend »

And? I wrote that script to solve that specific problem. You are free to extend it or write a completely new one...

wenmin92

Post by wenmin92 »

highend wrote: 12 Jun 2021 17:11 And? I wrote that script to solve that specific problem. You are free to extend it or write a completely new one...
I’m sorry if I offended you. Your script is useful and solved the problem.
I just hope that Visual Filter can natively support this feature.
Even simple string comparison is meaningful, so that the date and number comparison with consistent format can be realized indirectly.