Image sorting. Viewing order?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Algemir

Image sorting. Viewing order?

Post by Algemir »

Hello.
Can image be viewed in sort order? In a third-party image viewer, I mean.

Fore example:
Default sorting method is by name. In image viewer (like default Windows image viewer or ImageGlass e.g.) when you browse to next or previous image - it goes alphabetically.
But when you change sorting in XYplorer by date - in image viewer it still goes alphabetically!

Unlike behavior of Windows Explorer or Q-Dir Explorer. In which the order of viewing the image always match to the sorting method.

Is there some setting in XYplorer? Or it is a bug or lack of feature?

highend

Re: Image sorting. Viewing order?

Post by highend »

And how the hell are the images that you want to view send to the external application from inside XYplorer?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Algemir

Post by Algemir »

The same method as Windows Explorer?
Or same method like in Q-Dir Explorer? Which is third-party explorer.

In ImageGlass is a setting "Use Windows File Explorer sort order".
And apparently Q-Dir Explorer can send its own sorting method through this mechanism.

highend

Post by highend »

And apparently Q-Dir Explorer can send its own sorting method through this mechanism.
Can't see this behavior here...

Sorted by date modified

Code: Select all

005.jpg
003.jpg
001.jpg
002.jpg
004.jpg
Double click on 005.jpg opens it and a click on the "View next image" button doesn't show 003.jpg, 001.jpg, 002.jpg, 004.jpg but instead 001.jpg, 002.jpg, 003.jpg, 004.jpg

Q-Dir 9.31, x64, installed for all users
ImageGlass Kobe, 8.0.12.8, installed and set up as default image viewer for .jpg

In other words, bound specifically to Windows Explorer
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Algemir wrote: 23 Mar 2021 12:41 Can image be viewed in sort order? In a third-party image viewer, I mean.
Hello and welcome to the club!

Just saying: XY itself is a good image viewer. Have you already tried F11 (Floating Preview)?

Don

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

What would make XYplorer an even better image viewer? On right click MDBU with stay up engaged, allow transitioning to the next / previous images via the arrow key (remaining in MDBU mode).

Yeah, I know I've mentioned this before, but it would be really cool. :whistle: I don't think I'd be using any external view much if that was the case. I'd definitely would be right click a thumbnail much more than double clicking to bring up the image in a default viewer or using Floating or Full Preview.
Windows 11, 23H2 Build 22631.3447 at 100% 2560x1440

Algemir

Post by Algemir »

admin wrote: 23 Mar 2021 16:42 Just saying: XY itself is a good image viewer. Have you already tried F11 (Floating Preview)?
For quick photo preview – sure it great!
But, for example, if I have several scanned documents in image format, and I need to have all of them in front of my eyes – I need that image viewer was launched in multiple copies and display them separately in windows taskbar for fast switching. But if I don't miss anything, then Floating Preview in XYplorer can’t work this way.
So, I cannot refuse from third-party viewer.

highend wrote: 23 Mar 2021 16:25 Can't see this behavior here...

Sorry. My bad. Was confused at some stage. ImageGlass cannot see sort method from Q-Dir. It can only follow sorting method in Windows Explorer.
But «Windows Photo Viewer» - definitely catches sorting in Q-Dir.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The <get selecteditemsnames> variable returns the selected items in XY in the current order. If you pass that as a command line parameter to your image viewer it should work. (Sorry, no time now for how to do that; see help for Tools | Customize File Associations...).

Algemir

Post by Algemir »

admin wrote: 23 Mar 2021 18:22 The <get selecteditemsnames> variable returns the selected items in XY in the current order. If you pass that as a command line parameter to your image viewer it should work. (Sorry, no time now for how to do that; see help for Tools | Customize File Associations...).
Thanks for trying to help, but unfortunately it unclear for me how to write it correctly.
Beside simply adding new customize file associations. I couldn’t find the correct syntax of adding parameter after reading help.

Also, you say “selected items”? It means you should select all images, not just click on one of them?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This will return all items in the list, in their current order:
<get ItemsPathNames>

The question is now whether your app supports command line input and with what syntax.