XYplorer Quick Start Guide

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

XYplorer Quick Start Guide

Post by admin »

This is for collecting some ideas for a new section on the website: The XYplorer Quick Start Guide.

A fresh install comes with many cool options disabled because new users should not be overwhelmed with new experiences but feel at home in an Explorer-like environment. The disadvantage: Many users will never find the good stuff and miss out the game changers in their digital life.

So I want to compile a list of features that should be enabled and tried out when evaluating or starting to use XYplorer.

Features to enable and try out:
View | Mini Tree | Mini Tree (or Toolbar button "Mini Tree")
Configuration | Information | File Info Tips & Hover Box | Show Hover Box
Configuration | Preview | Mouse Down Blow Up | Mouse Down on Thumbnails and Icons | On left mouse down
Configuration | Preview | Mouse Down Blow Up | Mouse Up on Folder Icons | Folder contents preview
Configuration | Colors and Styles | Highlights & Dark Mode | Dark mode | Enable dark mode
Configuration | Colors and Styles | Color Filters | Enable color filters

Hot usage tips:
Almost every toolbar button has a right-click context menu.
Double-click line numbers column header (#) to auto-size all columns.
Double-click white space in tree and list to go up one level.
Ctrl+Wheel will zoom the font at that kind of interface element.

Other tips:
There are many more toolbar buttons you can add: Tools | Customize Toolbar...
Keyboard shortcuts are customizable: Tools | Customize Keyboard Shortcuts...
You can choose from many different interface languages: Help | Select Language...
Check out Branch View: View | Views | Branch View (or Toolbar button "Branch View")

Any other things I should add? (It should not be overwhelmingly much, just the best of the best)

jupe

Re: XYplorer Quick Start Guide

Post by jupe »

I have to mention that nearly weekly someone comes in the forum asking "how do I save folder view settings like Explorer", and then if they are linked to the feature page on the XY website, they follow up with, and I am paraphrasing here: "I pressed the F button and I got type ahead find" so even though I have the impression that most new [forum] users seem to not bother reading any of the available information without being directly pointed to it, it might possibly be worth adding FVS into a quickstart guide.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The "F button", holy shit, LOL. :lol:

Okay, noted.

notabot

Post by notabot »

Right-click a column header to change it's layout; Right-click the Name column (or an "empty" column) header to change the used columns / global column settings.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

We discussed this one previously - the special keys associated with Hover Box when displayed (e.g., i, s, b, +, -) .
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In case you ever wondered what's called what and what's the shortest way to the next UI element, here's a UI map:
https://www.xyplorer.com/quickstart.php#ui

:)