Confusing - Save Existing Configuration for use in new instance of XY

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Vocalpoint

Confusing - Save Existing Configuration for use in new instance of XY

Post by Vocalpoint »

Can I get a definitive bullet point list on how to move XY settings from one PC to another?

I totally get the point of "File-Save Settings Special->Save Configuration As" command on the file menu - but I need to understand what really matters for use on another machine?

If I just save the "XYplorer.ini" file in some location and name the ini file - is that all I need to use for "Load Configuration" on the new machine install or do I need to copy all the folders that appear I see when I hit Save Config As - matter as well? Things like Autobackup, Catalogs, Icons, Log, Scripts etc.?

Scripts is one key item - if I have a bunch of scripts on the source machine - for them to work on another machine (in the config I just saved) they should go over the new install as well?

FWIW - this command should really say Transfer Settings or something and create a definitive package for use on another machine.

Appreciate any assistance on this.

Cheers!

VP

highend

Re: Confusing - Save Existing Configuration for use in new instance of XY

Post by highend »

Copy your XY data folder over. Done.

Menu - Go - Go to Application Data Folder
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Vocalpoint

Post by Vocalpoint »

highend wrote: 17 Mar 2021 15:04 Copy your XY data folder over. Done.

Menu - Go - Go to Application Data Folder
Seems easy enough - however if I look into the folder structure a bit more - like say a folder like Thumbnails - I see that it's filled with Thumbnails (and references) to files from 2 or 3 years ago - that apply only to my current install.

If I move this entire folder structure to a new install - I have no use for outdated thumbnails pointing to files that probably do not exist from some old install?

I guess what I am looking for is to ensure all the core "settings" for XY (look, feel, function etc) as I have them on the source machine) are recreated on the new one - I do not need all the old metadata from the old install as logically I will create new metadata as I go on the new install.

Make sense? Maybe that is the sole reason that only the ".ini" file is being backed up when I hit Save Config As?

VP

highend

Post by highend »

Look, you need to decide what is or is not on your new machine (maybe you're copying all your photos over? We don't know) and get rid of the things you don't need.
We don't know if you want to keep your FindTemplates or your Paper(folders), Layouts, etc. E.g. you said that you need your scripts. Great, but that is not a core component because they were user created afterwards. So again, copy over your data folder and then get rid of the things you don't need anymore
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal