Open With custom file associations to existing process.

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
MBplorer

Open With custom file associations to existing process.

Post by MBplorer »

I haven't found a solution in the forums, perhaps I'm not using the correct terminology.

I've setup custom file associations to load particular files with VSCodium. This works well. Opening additional files sends them to the same instance of VSCodium, this is also as I desire.

The issue I'm trying to work around is this: If I open VSCodium from a script, one instance is created. Additional files I open within XYPlorer will open in a second instance of VSCodium. Is it possible to have all files open in a single instance?

Thanks!

highend

Re: Open With custom file associations to existing process.

Post by highend »

If I open VSCodium from a script
From what script?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

MBplorer

Post by MBplorer »

Oh, sorry, should have clarified. I have an XYPlorer XYS script that starts VSCodium. After this instance is started, I'd like other files that I open later in XYplorer to use that same instance if possible, rather than opening a new one.

May not be particularly relevant, but the reason I'm trying to do this is to refine a portable environment I've set up. VSCodium is slow to load, especially from a portable drive. I kick off commonly used portable applications from an "environment setup" XYS script so that they are loaded and ready to go when I open some files... It may not be possible, but so far everything has been possible with XYPlorer. XYPlorer is awesome.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not sure. Isn't this rather a question to VSCodium (which I know nothing about)?

highend

Post by highend »

I've experienced similar with Sublime Text (not particularly bound to XYplorer) but my solution was: Write a wrapper application (which does nothing more than forwarding all command line arguments (mainly files to open) to the text editor). Because it's always the same application that calls it, it never opens a new instance but always uses the old one...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal