How to preserve label colors?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
WayneK

How to preserve label colors?

Post by WayneK »

I use label colors extensively and have run into periodic problems with losing assigned colors. I'm trying to better understand how label colors work so I can avoid losing them.

1) When I move a file to a new folder, it loses it's assigned color. What controls this and how do I keep file colors no mater where they are moved?

I think it might controlled by this: Configuration>Information>Tabs>Storage. Mine is set to "Absolute Paths". Is this the setting I need to change to make colors travel with their assigned files? I'm afraid to change it without knowing what the effect will be. I've read the Help section on storage but couldn't understand it well enough to know what to do.

2) How do I back up up label color assignments? My C drive failed last year and I lost all my color labels.

Thanks, Wayne

admin
Site Admin

Re: How to preserve label colors?

Post by admin »

Hi Wayne,

sorry for the late reply!

1a) When you move a file within XYplorer the Label assignment should move along. This works well here.
1b) When you copy a file within XYplorer the Label assignment is also copied along, if this is ticked: Configuration | Information | Tags | Copy tags on copy operations

2) Backup the file "tag.dat" in XYplorer's app data folder.

Don

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I think it's just wording, but you say:
if you click "Copy tags on copy operations" the label assignment is *moved*
That's possible - but I don't think you meant that?
W7(x64) SP1 German
( +WXP SP3 )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, I meant "copied". I'll correct it in the original post.