List loading times with symbolic links are long

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
1024mb

List loading times with symbolic links are long

Post by 1024mb »

So I've been hesitant to ask about this for some time now because I wasn't sure if it was some kind of limitation the software has (because of Windows) or something along those lines or if it is a bug mainly because this issue deals with symbolic links which -I think- aren't common on Windows. The issue is as follows:

I have some folders with a bunch of symbolic links in them, this is the structure of some of them (they all contain mostly video files with very very few other types of files, like max 100):

Hard drive X:

Folder A <- Contains 30000 items of which 29000 are actual files and 1000 are symlinks.

Hard drive Y:

Folder B <- Contains 60000 items of which 15000 are files and 35000 are symlinks.

Hard drive Z:

Folder C <- Contains 40000 items of which 11000 are files and 29000 are symlinks.

I have measured with a cron the time:
  • When I open the folder A it loads very quickly, roughly it takes 1 to 3 seconds to load the fie list.
  • When I open folder B it loads very slow, it took 19.16 seconds to load the list.
  • When I open folder C it also loads very slow, it took 13.63 seconds to load the list.
I can see in the status bar how the items load with the number increasing over time.

What I have noticed is that if I apply the filter: !attr:junction BEFORE opening the folders B and C then they load as fast as the folder A.
Anyone else has experienced this? Does this happens because of the amount of items (60K and 40K) or the fact that most of them are symlinks has something to do with it?

I've tried inverting the filter (attr:junction) but I get kinda the same results as if I weren't filtering anything:
  • Folder B took 18.18 seconds to load.
  • Folder C took 12.74 seconds to load the list.
So by that it can be assumed that symbolic links play a role in this issue?
Why does it takes so long for symlinks to be listed?

EDIT: I was forgetting about something else. After applying the visual filter to ignore symlinks, if I open a new tab XYplorer first disables the visual filter on the current tab so I have to wait till all the items load and then opens a new tab, this doesn't happen if I just switch tabs instead of opening a new one.

Thanks.

highend

Re: List loading times with symbolic links are long

Post by highend »

Sounds like resolving the symlinks is what it slows down.

Does it get faster when you untick this:
Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Icons | [ ] Show icon overlays

If the above doesn't help, what happens when you tick:
Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Icons | [x] Use generic icons for super-fast browsing
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

highend wrote: 19 Jan 2021 23:15 Sounds like resolving the symlinks is what it slows down.

Does it get faster when you untick this:
Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Icons | [ ] Show icon overlays

If the above doesn't help, what happens when you tick:
Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Icons | [x] Use generic icons for super-fast browsing
Thanks for the help.
Unfortunately neither of the two options do anything regarding this issue, the list still takes a long time to load.

highend

Post by highend »

I guess
Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Icons | [ ] Show shortcut overlays
doesn't help either, right?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

No, it didn't help either. I tried with all the three options and the same.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I stepped through it but did not see anything obvious. Did not test such large numbers yet.

1) Is that Win10?

2) Try to untick these:
Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Icons | Show shortcut overlays
Configuration | General | Refresh, Icons, History | Icons | Show shared folder overlays

3) Is it the same with a fresh instance (fresh;)?

4) Are you showing any special columns?

5) Are these symlinks to files or to folders?

1024mb

Post by 1024mb »

Hey,

1. Yes, Windows 10.

2. Tried unticking "Show shared folder overlays" as the other was already unticked but it didn't solve it.

3. Yes, it is the same. List still takes long to load.

4. I'm using the "Accessed time" and "Label" columns.

5. All symlinks point to files.

If it makes it easier to achieve the amount of symlinks I have here is a script in case you have a bunch of files lying around. The scripts copies all the files from folder A to folder B recursively:

https://gofile.io/d/XQO8SU