Can I fully replace Windows File Explorer with XY?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
tim11g

Can I fully replace Windows File Explorer with XY?

Post by tim11g »

I'm evaluating XY, with a goal to avoid all the design flaws and never-fixed bugs that exist in Microsoft's version. My hope is to completely eliminate Windows File Explorer.

So far I've seen some issues in XY with network shares disappearing during sleep.
The apparent lack of support for ZIP files is definitely a gap. Opening Windows File Explorer to browse the ZIP is not the action I'm looking for.

What about desktop shortcuts? Now I have many shortcuts containing variations of "C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e, "C:\"" Substituting the path to XY doesn't work.
What about context menus --- start menu / program / Open File Location?

There are all kinds of places the Windows File Explorer is hooked into the OS. I understand XYExplorer can't replace explorer.exe entirely since that also provides the desktop. But is there an integration process to make XY the default for all file browsing functions? I didn't see a section on "OS Integration" in the help file.
XYplorer 24.90 on Windows 10

highend

Re: Can I fully replace Windows File Explorer with XY?

Post by highend »

Opening Windows File Explorer to browse the ZIP is not the action I'm looking for.
You can at least browse them in the preview tab in the info panel

There is one workaround (I'm currently too lazy to write a better one): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10671

Whenever a Windows Explorer window popups it's redirected to XYplorer...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Gary

Post by Gary »

how do i set xyexplorer as the default to replace file explorer?

jupe

Post by jupe »

Gary wrote: 13 Apr 2021 01:33 how do i set xyexplorer as the default to replace file explorer?
https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=dfm

FYI some apps are hardcoded to open folders in Explorer and will continue to do so.