Ordering files and dirs

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Mist

Ordering files and dirs

Post by Mist »

History Order

The default setting corresponds to IE5's back-button history order: newest at the top of the menu. If you want it the other way set the following key to 1:

[General]
HistNewestLast=1

Redmond seems to have changed what I recall from pre-IE.

What I'm looking for is ordering sub-dirs and contained files regardless of the file manager.

When I mark a group of sub-dir or files for removal from X to Y, they don't follow in A to Z order. The above from the "Help" gives me an inkling as to the problem. Is it possible to have files "line up" in the new receiving sub-dir in A to Z order irrespective of file manager and if so how?

Another example is if say using WinAmp and clicking a folder, the contents are not played in A-Z order which is what I want. This is easily solved by playlists but it's bloaty.

I also suspect that IE will override any SET or DIRCMD. Pardon my senior moment here.

Suggestions and thoughts appreciated.

Ciao!

Mist

admin
Site Admin

Re: Ordering files and dirs

Post by admin »

Mist wrote:What I'm looking for is ordering sub-dirs and contained files regardless of the file manager.
AFAIK there's always a default sort order for files, which is determined by the file system: under NTFS files are always sorted by name in ascending order (there's no way to manipulate this order); under FAT32 the sort order depends on the time the files were created.
TrackerV3: select menu View/Sort By/Original Order to see the sort order provided by the file system.

Mist

Post by Mist »

Thanks much. What I'd come to suspect.

Ciao!

Mist

Gandolf

Post by Gandolf »

Mist wrote:What I'm looking for is ordering sub-dirs and contained files regardless of the file manager
I had a program years ago called Foldersort that, I think, changed the order of the file entries on the disk. I don't know if it is still available or if it will do what you want.

Mist

Post by Mist »

Gandolf wrote:I had a program years ago called Foldersort that, I think, changed the order of the file entries on the disk. I don't know if it is still available or if it will do what you want.
Recall something similar if not it long ago. For the moment, I think I'll endure until I either upgrade to XP or Redmond dispatches Longhorn (whenever).

Thanks, all.