Is it possible to display the whole path+filename?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
xpxy

Is it possible to display the whole path+filename?

Post by xpxy »

Hello,

I would like to use XY for browsing thru picture thumbnails, then rename or move the current picture by an external macro, the active window being the main XY window (ThunderRT6FormDC) or the floating window (I would like to have both possibilities, i.e. would like to retrieve the full path plus filename in both cases.

For the thumbs, the window caption only gives the path, but without filename, for the floating-window, the window caption only gives the filename, but without the path.

The status bar text is the filename, without the path, but the status bar text is not retrievable.

In the thumbs window, the focused control is ThunderRT6PictureBoxDC58, in the floating-window there is no identified control, i.e. the "focused control" field in my Window Spy tool is empty; this would, in case, make possible to distinguish the two windows since my external tool could check if the active window is ThunderRT6FormDC (which would be positive for both windows), and then, if the active window is also "XYplorer", since this is only part of the main window caption, not also of the floating-window caption (title).

But as it is, I can either retrieve the path (in the main window), or the filename (in the floating-window), never the full path including the filename.

I haven't found a setting which would display that full-path (incl. filename) either in the main window or in the floating-window. Is there any way to retrieve the full-path, or could you implement some options setting which would show that in both windows' caption / window title?

In some other file managers, I don't have this problem, but they don't display pictures so well as XY does.

(EDIT: I'd like to add that I could, of course, retrieve both windows one after the other and thus concatenate the full path, but that would only be possible if both windows are displayed at the same time. Also, when I open the "Rename file" dialog in XY, the full path is indicated above the rename field, but it's not retrievable from there, so just the filename is retrievable from that dialog - not speaking of the fuss coming with opening an additional dialog every time I want to rename and/or move a file by external macro, with preset target folders, etc.)

Thank you!

EDIT2:
The command "To Clipboard - Item Path / Name" will put the full path into the clipboard, but only from the main window, i.e. this command does not work from the floating-window. Since the floating-window displays the "currently-active" thumbnail of the main window, retrieval would be possible indeed, by retrieving the full path from there, but this would imply making the main window active in-between, then go back to the floating-window to make that active again. The floating window has a context menu but where there is no fullpath-retrieval command. The floating window having, by option in case, display the full path in its caption would be much simpler after all.

highend

Re: Is it possible to display the whole path+filename?

Post by highend »

Why don't you do what you want with XYs scripting engine?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

xpxy

Post by xpxy »

Because I've done an integrated system in AHK, with a 5-digit number of code lines, so I'm not willing to do (/learn) specifics in any application. The full path being easily retrievable is standard in file managers, and XY's giving the path alone, or the filename alone, depending on the currently active window, is an exception - this is not an impression of mine, but a fact; I own several paid file managers and several free ones.

I would have been totally ok with retrieving the current fullpath from the status bar; as said above, unfortunately, this is not possible, XY being a venerable application, with venerable controls, and then, even in the status bar, the fullpath isn't available for the time being.

As said or implied above, I consider XY the very best file manager for browsing thru pic collections; in order to get something as good or even better, you'd have to buy Photo Mechanics, $149 plus VAT; currently I use FSImageViewer (free) for my photo needs, and which ain't highend (ho, ho); using several screens concurrently anyway (which FSIV also provides for), I'd like to use XY instead, discarding FSIV, which currently "does" everything I want from it, thru my AHK scripting, but if I'm not erroneous, XY renders images better.

FastImageViewer (around $50 plus VAT, endlessly stuck in version 1.9something, so version 2 would be very probably "paid" anyway) would have been perfect only if it had adopted a more standard Windows interface - its current command interface is a complete nightmare -, AND - both core facts being a so-called "deal-breaker" for me, otherwise I would have accepted the always-pending update price long ago - AND, I said, it had implemented a real thumbnail pane / window, as, among many others, the three other applications mentioned above (XY, FSIV, PM) have done; those some thumbs in a hover-bar on top of FIV's main window are a joke, so if I had raw photos to manage, I'd bought PM, but since I don't, I'd like XY to be a little bit more standard, making the full file path of the currently active file easily available (as almost any other file manager does), ideally by caption string (and be it "upon option" if really there are users who'd prefer it the current XY way), and I'd appreciate a lot.

highend

Post by highend »

You could just put the current selected file into the title bar (maybe in specific tags so it's easier to identify it)
and from this just strip off the file name and take the title from the floating window so both cases would be covered by doing this

Configuration | Colors and Styles | Templates | Titlebar
E.g.:
<app> [<curitem>]
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There could be some ideas here:

Code: Select all

v12.30.0104 - 2013-04-15 10:24
    + SC CopyData enhanced: Added a mode (previously "flags") to 
      immediately return the text, with variables resolved, to the sender.
      Syntax: copydata hwnd, data, mode
        mode:
            2: Resolve variables in data and return to sender immediately.
               Variables are XYplorer native and environment variables.
      Example:
        - Determine <curitem> in another XYplorer instance (hWnd 197078):
          copydata 197078, '<curitem>', 2; echo <get copieddata 3>;
        Note that the single quotes in the example are essential else 
        <curitem> would be resolved in *this* instance of XYplorer 
        before being sent to the other instance.
    > Note for DEVELOPERS:
      The mode parameter in SC CopyData simply selects different dwData:
      - If called with mode 0 then
          cds.dwData == 4194304 (0x00400000)
          = Do nothing special.
      - If called with mode 1 then
          cds.dwData == 4194305 (0x00400001)
          = Data is XYplorer script; execute this script immediately.
      - If called with mode 2 then
          cds.dwData == 4194306 (0x00400002)
          = Resolve variables in data and return to sender immediately.
      So any application can use these dwData values to trigger a 
      specific reaction in XYplorer when it receives data via 
      WM_COPYDATA.